Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my Daedal DDL driver ready to hold a laser?

Right now I just finished soldering a Daedal DDL driver (like the one in this picture in the first reply at this hyper-link http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1227655714) and I want to know if it is ready to hold a red SLD1239JL-54 16x DVD burning laser diode? I did make a few substitutions in the circuit. Instead of a 47UF 16V tantalum capacitor I used a 47 UF 35 volt electrolytic capacitor and for a power supply I used four AA batteries. The voltage reads 5.83 volts regardless of potentiometer setting. The amperage does change upon potentiometer adjustment and goes to 11.03 miliamps at maxiumum resistance and when the potentiometer is at minimum resistance it goes uo to 126.6 milliamps. Is the driver doing what it's supposed to do? Is the laser ready to be mounted on to the driver? If so, do I have to adjust the pot to a certain setting? If not then tell me whats wrong. Thank you.

Added message: I tested it again and the voltatage is now 5.78 volts.

jayrob

If you are using a 10 ohm resistor and a 100 ohm pot, just like the picture, then that makes sense that your adjustment is 11mA's to 126mA's!

Voltage without a load will be very close to what ever your supply voltage is. When you connect the diode, it will take what ever voltage it needs. So don't worry about the voltage.

A 35V cap is fine. Just make sure you discharge the cap by shorting the leads that will connect to the LD. Touch them together for a few seconds. Then connect up your LD!

At 125mA's, you will only get around 80mW's or so. If you changed out the 10 ohm resistor for a 3 ohm. Your adjustment will be from about 12mA's to 420mA's. You don't want to push that diode much past 300mA's. (around 200mW's) If you go that high, make sure you have a good heatsink.

Also, your supply will drop below 6 volts very quickly, and then your driver will drop out. Not putting out as much mA's. You need a minimum supply of 6 volts for that set up with a red diode. So 2 X 3.6 volt batteries is much better...
Jay

Personally it does not matter to me how much the power other then if its enough power to burn stuff like matches, tape, and be able pop balloons. So as I understand you are saying that I got everything right except the batteries? So if it's the batteries, were exactly can I find a battery holder for 3.6v battery? Also there is one last thing I also want to clarify, you said
When you connect the diode, it will take what ever voltage it needs. So don't worry about the voltage.
but you also said
Also, your supply will drop below 6 volts very quickly, and then your driver will drop out. Not putting out as much mA's. You need a minimum supply of 6 volts for that set up with a red diode.
So is it ok if you clarify. Are you saying that I just need to replace the AA's with 3.6? And also can it be any type of 3.6v battery? or does it have to be a certain kind. Other then that I Just want to say that I strongly appreciate the help you have been giving me in this project and I think your very awesome jayrob and the same to all the other people that helped me out with my project.

jayrob

Ok, let me clarify...

Don't worry about what voltage reading you get without a load, or LD connected when you test your driver. When you connect your LD, it will take what ever voltage it needs.

But you must make sure you have at least 6 volts supply for a red diode. And 4 X AA supply will drop below 6 volts very soon. So you just need 5 X AAA. Or 2 X 3.6 volt rechargeable. (RCR123)

Batteries - http://www.batteryjunction.com/uf16340.html
Charger - http://www.batteryjunction.com/tlunlichfor1.html
Battery holders - http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=BC2/3AE-ND
Jay