Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is my bluray diode dead ?

HI,

I just got my 8x diode for my jayrob kit.
After soldering and assembling everything was working fine.
But after a couple of minutes the light was very dim.
What did i wrong?
I did not protected the connections on the diode.
Could that be the mistake?
If not please tell me why

Thanks

You probbably did what I did to my Red, have a look inside to make sure you havnt bent the pins on the diode and or shorted the pins together. If you have, sorry for your loss :(

Here are the pics..
hope they will help you

Attachments

• P1010691.JPG
    P1010691.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 212
  • P1010703.JPG
    P1010703.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 181
you should have used shrink tubing or some sort of booting around the diode pins connection point it seems in those pics to have where you rubbed them together
allot. I can see grey around both wires.

I would have to say that diode is in a state of LED, sorry to have to break it to you.

At this point break it down and DMM the driver to see it putting out voltage and re dummie load it to confirm current set if all is well to that point then try hooking it up again...remeber to short the caps.

Yeah, more than likely dead...diodes are really fragile...sadly...they are an awesome component...same happened to me once, I did not use heat-shrink tubing and since the diode pins are smaller than my wire, some pieces of the wire kinda ''bent'' and made a short or screwed it up somehow touching the other pins or wires.

Just like jander6442 said, double check everything.

Sorry for your loss and don't give up. It is normal for first timers to kill diodes...I'm a first timer and I killed 2 up until now:crackup:...but I got a pen build working...hopefully I'll get more working.

Kyle

Last edited:
You mean the end of your wires are grey? If so, I'm not sure but I would think they are still good. Happens to me when I solder and de-solder, my leads become grey-blackish.

You mean the end of your wires are grey? If so, I'm not sure but I would think they are still good. Happens to me when I solder and de-solder, my leads become grey-blackish.

Thank you for the answer. I thought that they were still good but i just wanted to go sure and ask somebody with more espirience. :D