Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is It Worth It??

So I have a 4W 465nm laser and a 1.2W 445nm laser. I really like both colors, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to get a NUBM44 laser when I already have this NUBM07. I'm only looking for a brighter laser, not a better burning laser. I punched in a 465nm @ 4W and 445nm @ 9.5W (I could probably push the driver to 5.5A and get 9-9.5W out of the NUBM44) in the relative laser beam brightness calculator and it says the NUBM44 would be 63% brighter than the NUBM07; does anyone have both of these diodes? Would it be worth getting the NUBM44 for an increased brightness?

diachi

Well I said 9-9.5W.....all the tests I see using the NUBM44 climb to LPMs max (usually 6.8W) very quickly so that diode is probably hitting at least 7.5 but could easily be hitting 8W at its peak and and that's with the driver set to 4.5A. Boosting the driver to 5A, you are probably getting 8W-8.5W so boosting it to 5.5A I think its safe to say you could be getting 9-9.5W. Anyway, this was not the point of posting this thread; I know people on forums love replying with anything except the answer to the question which is why I don't post often, but if you really can get past the fact that I said 9-9.5W then say the NUBM44 is pushing 8.5W @ 5.5A if it makes you feel better, it doesn't make much of a difference either way....

I was genuinely curious about where you had seen those numbers, I hadn't seen anything mentioning anything above 7W. More information is always good. And FYI, I reply with the answer frequently, as do many other people, this a rather helpful community. No need to be snarky.

Last edited:

AaronT

You might get 8 watts out of the right NUBM44 but your going to need to test and burn up a bunch to find one. 9 - 9.5 if anyone got that out of one half the forum would be screaming for secrets to be revealed, the other half wouldn't take your word tell you sent your laser to someone else to verify output.

At 5.5a your going to get an honest 7 watts from your average NUBM44 diode.

I think your a bit too optimistic.

Due to wavelength I don't think your going to find a brighter laser than the MUBM07 you already have.

However if I were you I would either

A. Start a NUBM44 anyway for that "power" build.

B. Save my $ and budget for the next diode that pushes the NUMB44 out of top place.

AaronT

Ok go for it, none of us here know what we are talking about.

Don't forget to do a detailed build thread on how you pulled off a 9.5 watt NUBM44.

.....ha alright I'll be sure to do that. Thanks for proving my point of whats wrong with forums

See what's wrong here is that you're refusing to listen. You ask for advice and then refuse to listen to it. So many people come here just wanting others to echo the thoughts that they already have set in their own heads. This is why the forums gets this way because no one listens to the veterans who have done countless testing on these diodes. These guys have years upon years of experience and I know quite a few of them have killed many a 44. They know what they're talking about because they have experience. But please by all means go get a 44 at 5.5A and prove us wrong. I'd actually be happy if you got 9.5W out of it, without chilling it of course.

Last edited:
Hmm well thank you for the reply, but what you are saying about the power of the NUBM44 makes no sense. At 4.5A you are already pushing far past 6.8W considering how quickly it jumps up to 6.8W and then stops because thats as high as the LPM goes. I don't think its optimistic to say you are getting 7.5W with the driver set at 4.5A and considering that, 5.5A should be giving you at least 8.5W. I already listed the reasons why its not a well known fact that the NUBM44 can push 8.5W+ so it makes sense. Anyway I agree with you to just stick with the NUBM07 until a better diode comes out. By the way when did the NUBM44, NUBM07 and lets say NDG7475 come out? Probably all in the past 2-3 years huh? I'm just trying to get a sense as to how fast this industry moves.

I think that you're assuming power input will give the same power output throughout the entire range from 0-5.5A. Which isn't true! The higher you push any diode, the less power output you'll get from the relative power input, until you get fold back and start losing output power. Or just kill the diode first! It's not like there's a "wall" where all of the sudden the diode power output just stops.

GSS

HPO, look at DTR's sight and testing. He just about always show's that giving more Amp's to diode's doesn't always give more W's. They have a drop down point.

Edit: There you go "fold back" like Chrisbee said. And usually he keeps them nice and cool while testing.

Last edited:
Is it worth it? Sure. It's a tank. But beam specs kinda suck. I have mine in a S4X and a 3x BE attached. Would I bother having a second one vs another 465 or 520? No.

Bruh that nine watts is gonna last for about nine milliseconds before you start to enjoy a new aroma, burnt diode. It doesn't matter how many amps you give it. Consider an incandescent bulb for example, one rated at 120 volts at 0.8 amps. Try feeding it 250 volts; pop goes the filament. Same thing goes with amps. You could just use two diodes as Alaskan mentioned. Sometimes another problem is that the mirrors in the diode aren't rated for that much power and the diode burns up. It might not be that the semi-conductor can't handle it.
I am curious however, how hard you could run it in a freezer. I'd like to see someone build a laser with a special water chamber which is designed to be frozen prior to use.

Last edited:

Vision

w8a8U8J.jpg