Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it weird to want a laser purely to shine at the night sky?

Something about the beam in the dark clear sky is so visually appealing & makes me appreciate the laws of physics. I like alone time sometimes like 2:am in the morning & just look up at the stars & mull over anything.

Does anyone do this with a laser?

Last edited:

my town sits right between two huge lakes, I love going to the beach late at night and firing beams across the water. there are also public fire pits one the beach that dont get closed up until midnight at the earliest, sometimes I make a really smokey fire and shoot lasers into the smoke :D

How far away can a typical green powerful laser beam be seen? So will the neighbours see it easy shooting in the sky?

Wonder how long the beam is?

thought about it for sure, just never seem to have my camera when im at the beach, probably a good thing though, DSLRs and sand dont mix :p

No, that is quite normal. Dangerous these days though. All it takes is one person to report "suspicious activity" to land you in hot legal water.

If you live out in an area where you can appreciate your lasers outside of closed doors then cherish it, such instances are fleeting.

About the question of how far a laser beam goes--

NASA left a mirror on the moon- a monster green laser was able to hit that mirror and they could see the laser beam come back to earth(not by eye of course).
This was used in one episode of 'The Big Bang Theory' too--

about sky scanning- doing that could bring unwanted attention to you and, yes, somebody may just feel the urge to 'report' you -- but doing this for me is hard to resist especially on a foggy night. Some nice photos can be made by either moving the beams or moving the camera during a long exposure ( turn off the flash) I have seen some VERY impressive pics taken at dawn with heavy morning fog..

When I get asked ;what good are lasers?'
I often say that having one could possibly save your life when in need of rescue--

That would be one time I would WANT to be reported & btw the new laws regarding lasing aircraft have a clause that makes doing that legal if you are in distress.

I really enjoy a nice camp fire and some rgb lasers-- when there is very little wind you can locate the smoke trail as it rises and lase that-- great time to break out your camera for sure..

BUT it is advised to do such things far from the city and very late at night-

Attachments

• JETL 250s(3) 532nm-445nm- 650mW .jpg
    JETL 250s(3) 532nm-445nm- 650mW .jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 400
  • foggy nite Denen 300-532 DTR 1 watt 445s jetlaser 250-532 FS 011.jpg
    foggy nite Denen 300-532 DTR 1 watt 445s jetlaser 250-532 FS 011.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 819
  • JETL 3&5 X B expanders- 250 mW green PL-C 063.jpg
    JETL 3&5 X B expanders- 250 mW green PL-C 063.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 426
  • GFb 6 lmp tests DOA Ti B 532-200 125.jpg
    GFb 6 lmp tests DOA Ti B 532-200 125.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 664
Last edited:
I agree pericles.I've enjoyed star gazing and astronomy for years.Nothing like a clear calm night full of stars and a 532nm.The first question most people ask is "so where's the big dipper"