Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is it weird for my red laser to do this?

hey there my red 200mw laser (as it says on the sticker even though its hard to trust) when i burn things is it normal for the dot to shine bright white? may seem to be a weird question cos i decided to no use my googles this one time just to see. the red burns wood and lights paper bought off ebay for $25 in australia!! also bought a 50mw green for $17 but here it is my fellow australians!!! i bought a 1w laser off ebay works ligit long duty cycle, i did a silly test with it and what do you know it burnt my carpet :oops:

well sorry for going a little of topic but yeah there it is

That "white" light is not so good for your eyes... because the red is to bright for your vision so it looks white , don't do that again mate :)

Actually i think its the material combusting, if you leave it there as in not holding it, and out it on a tripod or set it down then it flashes white then turns red again

No it's normal pal my 16x/ 405nm blu ray does the same thing right before combustion of the specific material it's burning. And no it's not good to look at it well stated safety glasses.

APEX1

probably not a good idea to look at the dot without eyewear.. I seriously don't think people realize serious looking at a beam dot lol without eyewear.. I don't get it, why risk the only seeing balls you have.. Trust me you wont get a respawn when you loose your eyes. lol

that's because of the material being turned into plasma by the heat (it gets very hot when all that laser energy is focused into a spot less than a quarter of a millimeter across). the plasma then, for a split second, emits a bright white light in order to go back to a stable energy state (to cool down to normal matter) its worth mentioning this happens with any laser focused well enough, or powerful enough.

this white light is not bright enough to be harmful, even though it will go right through laser safety goggles (unless you have "broadband laser safety glasses" AKA a blindfold). the laser light however, is very damaging to your eyes, so be sure to wear the proper safety glasses in order to avoid this.

Last edited:
@ micheal rosen

I am guessing at say about 5 feet or more away you have a red laser spot that is less than a quarter of a millimeter across?
Dang, you have a nice focusing lens or great beam waist for a hand held red laser.

I am guessing at say about 5 feet or more away

no not quite, that would be insane XD

but my lazerpoint (read as: cheap chinese) "200mw 650nm" laser has very low divergence, not a nice beam profile, but it even beats my laserbtb HL 100mW 532nm laser in terms of divergence. it also (when not focused to infinity) can create absolutely tiny dot sizes, way less than a millimeter, same with the BTB 532nm. heres a link to the red, however it is probably 660nm, which is hard to block: Massive Cheap C03 200mw Adjustable Focus 650nm Red Laser Pointer Set with Lighting Match Function (Black) in * Laser Pointer * 16340 Lithium Battery * 18650 Lithium Battery * Universal Charger * 2 x Keys * User Manual * Case - Free Shipping

So you are talking right in front of the lens?
The OP stated they burnt their carpet so I was guessing they pointed it down at the floor out in front of them and did not get down on their hands and knees and have it 1/2 inch away from the carpet :D

So you are talking right in front of the lens?
The OP stated they burnt their carpet so I was guessing they pointed it down at the floor out in front of them and did not get down on their hands and knees and have it 1/2 inch away from the carpet :D

oh, they were talking about a 1W laser they ordered on ebay, not the red laser.