Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it true?

So I have heard many claims by wickedlasers that there new krypton can be seen from space. and goes over like 80 miles. Now I find this hard to belive due to divergence. But Can it really be possible? and if so dosent that mean that almost any high-powered green lasers can do the same? such as jetlasers 600mw PL-C or maybe even possible the PL-C 500mw

of course it's true, just ask anyone who lives in space if they can see it ;) If you still don't believe them then ask for a picture :beer:

Believe the marketing campaign if you want, but I wouldn't trust such statements unless they were coming from an expert in that field.

TuhOz

Hmm, I think it isnt true.
Also, the dot would be pretty big in the space.

hmmm that's very interesting question, i would also like to know the answer :)

there is no air in space so you couldn't see the beam for sure even if you had a 20watt green laser on the moon. I am not sure about the dot I heard that they recorded the reflection off of an old piece of apollo 11 that was a mirror. the laser reflected back and we couldn't see it on earth but a machine detected that it was there. It was like 11.2 watt green laser.

Last edited:
They intentionally placed a retro-reflecting mirror on
the moon and shoot a high powered laser at it and
use the few photons that bounce back to precisely
measure the distance from the earth to the moon..

Jerry

Last edited:
This is too funny, no air in space so the light from a laser we can not see :crackup:

I was just wondering then how dose the light from the sun get here :thinking: :crackup:

there is no air in space so you couldn't see the beam for sure even if you had a 20watt green laser on the moon. I am not sure about the dot I heard that they recorded the reflection off of an old piece of apollo 11 that was a mirror. the laser reflected back and we couldn't see it on earth but a machine detected that it was there. It was like 11.2 watt green laser.

Last edited:
He said you couldn't see the beam, which is 100% true in a vacuum.

OK I thought he meant because there was no air the light from a laser could not pass.

I can see stars, and they are really dim and far away, and not even focused like lasers. So of course I can see a laser when it is a whole watt of green light. Duh! :na:

I can see stars, and they are really dim and far away, and not even focused like lasers. So of course I can see a laser when it is a whole watt of green light. Duh! :na:

But it isn't 1 W . More like 200-300 mW. I wonder if at 1 W it could be seen though :shhh:

But it isn't 1 W . More like 200-300 mW. I wonder if at 1 W it could be seen though :shhh:

Let's do this. I'll get out my 1.6W green labby and you get out your rocket ship and get up around 80 miles. Then look straight at me and see/tell me if you can see my laz0r. You'll be able to tell where I am by listening for the "psszzhhurrr" of me turning my laser on like in all the WickedLasers videos..

If you put it through a beam expander i have no doubt that it could be seen if they were IN the path of the laser light. 100mw beam 1 mrad 1 mm diameter put through telescope 150 power properly focused is a dot( well splotch) roughly 4 feet wide at 150 miles of unknown brightness due to atmospheric losses. If you could magage to hit a target at that range directly someones eyes inside the beam would see that

No, it would take much more than 11.2 or even 20 Watts. It took 1GW (1,000 Megawatts) with a divergence 1,000s of times less than a mrad and even the only a few protons got back to earth (ie it took super sensitive equipment to even detect it).

On a side note, with the very crappy divergence that WL's are known for, I have doubts that the beam of their much less than 1Watt green could be seen from 80 miles (unless perhaps you had a high powered telescope pointed directly at it).
They are all about marketing and 99.98% of what they tell & market towards their main demographic (kids age 12-16) is total BS.

What! ... But it's The World's Most Powerful Laser, right? LOL! I agree with Bootleg
-Glenn