Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IS it legit; cool laser

kaunak

It's probably a 445nm laser, but more than likely it's not anywhere near 2W with that host size and price. Even if it was an m140 outputting 2W, the host would get hot very quickly and it would have a short duty cycle. I'm guessing it's some kind of blue laser, probably 1w output at most, and likely less than that. It could also just be some 405nm laser sold as a 450nm laser. Likely cheap quality.

USAbro

Would it be powerful enough to need glasses? It says it can light a cigarette.

What laser do you recommend for me, it can be green or blue, but I want about 1 watt. I have about $80 to spend. I don't care about duty cycle unless it is less than 30 seconds. Like a 60 on 60 off is fine. It can be cheap but needs to be super bight and high powered, to pop a lightly colored balloon (not white) with a swipe of the beam.

Last edited:

kaunak

Would it be powerful enough to need glasses? It says it can light a cigarette.

What laser do you recommend for me, it can be green or blue, but I want about 1 watt. I have about $80 to spend. I don't care about duty cycle unless it is less than 30 seconds. Like a 60 on 60 off is fine. It can be cheap but needs to be super bight and high powered, to pop a lightly colored balloon (not white) with a swipe of the beam.

Yes glasses are recommended for any Class 4 laser as a stray reflection can very hazardous to the eyes, especially if you're planning on trying to light cigs with it or something like that. I'd recommend laserbtb or the BST section on here, but the price for a 1W will be closer to $100 than $80. That's 1w of 445 blue, 1W of green is way out of your price range.

upaa27

1 w of laser power is more dangerous than a gun. Do you know what you are doing here?

kaunak

Hmm, I have to say that first one looks like an alright starter kit for a newb, just because of the included safety goggles. The batteries will be cheap and not good quality, along with the laser. Power output will probably be around 700mw, and maybe up to a watt, but output is not posted on either listing so it's a gamble. If you're mature enough, I'd say just buy it, and don't do anything stupid with the laser like pointing it at people or planes. A 1W laser can cause immediate eye damage if the beam hits your eye, so you or anyone else near the laser should use goggles, but if you don't it's a risk.

Edit: Just for the record, I can tell you probably have no experience with lasers at all, so I'd recommend something much lower power to start off with, e.g 50mw 532

Last edited:

USAbro

I am not stupid. I know of the risks and have watched many videos about safety and many reports of those jailed for shooting lasers at planes. I already have a "5mw" ebay laser that can light matches.

I think I'll take the gamble, I can ship it back if it sucks that much. Besides it looks cool.

Edit: My ebay laser is 532nm and can light matches, pop balloons and cut electrical tape.

Last edited:

USAbro

The reason you might think I know nothing about lasers is because of my trying to purchase from eBay. The reason is I trust eBay gaurentee and I can't afford to much so eBay is what I am looking for. I'm not some kid trying to annoy neighbors with too much time on my hands.

Last edited:

kaunak

Okay fair enough. I wasn't trying to be offensive just making sure you understood a 1W laser is not a toy.

The reason you might think I know nothing about lasers is because of my trying to purchase from eBay. The reason is I trust eBay gaurentee and I can't afford to much so eBay is what I am looking for. I'm not some kid trying to annoy neighbors with too much time on my hands.

If you don't have a lot of money to spare then this is the wrong hobby, just sayin....

-Alex

USAbro

If you don't have a lot of money to spare then this is the wrong hobby, just sayin....

-Alex

Dude, I'm fine. You don't have to be rich for this hobby. I've bought RC plane costing over $400, it's just how much I want to spend. The money might be there but the want isn't. It is cool though so I think I'll go for this one.

445nm Blue Visible Beam Laser Pointer Pen Cigarette Lighter Boxset with 5 Caps | eBay

I don't need to hear how it's crap, but if you have suggestions let me know.

Last edited:

jdawg

Initial ignorance is fine, but when told otherwise, and still stubbornly repeated, it becomes quite annoying. I'm not in any place to judge, as I once was like you, but I listened to people around me.

And please spell right. "Hear" is different from "here".

USAbro

I'm sorry if I offended someone. People have the tendency to believe that just because a person is new to a forum, that their new to that hobby.

USAbro

Hey where do you live, I live 20 min outside dc. I live in Gaithersburg/Germantown/Damascus area.