Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

is it harmful??

hey all i was just wondering is it harmful to look at the dot of a red laser is it harmful to your eyes? can wearing sunglasses help?

Y

yew.sir-name

Depends on the surface of the wall and power of the laser.

S

SenKat

toked323 said:
hey all i was just wondering is it harmful to look at the dot of a red laser is it harmful to your eyes? can wearing sunglasses help?

Wearing sunglasses is the WORST thing you can do ! If the dot bothers you (I.E. a headache) then do not look at it for extended periods of time...reflections, and direct beam exposure are what do the most damage.

Benm

The dot from 100 mW would be quite harmless when projected onto a matte surface. The dot is as bright as a wide-angle LED with the same output power as the laser, so for 100 mW perhaps 1W luxeon star or similar. Those are perfectly safe to look at form a meters distance, but it might not be comfortable.

The whole idea behind class-3B is that the dot is safe to look at, and if it is not that the blink response of they eye will protect you rapidly enough.

However, just don't stare at the dot when it hurts your eyes... it hurts for a reason!

King_K

SenKat said:
Wearing sunglasses is the WORST thing you can do !
The reason why wearing sunglasses as laser protective goggles is bad, is because everything looks darker, so your pupils widen to let in more light, thus letting in more light from the laser, laser (coherent) light focuses into a very tiny spot inside your eyes, so an accidental reflection would be much more dangerous.

This is why you don't use sunglasses for lasers:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVQzc75YiQ[/media]