Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is it a good idea to buy cheap laser goggles off ebay?

I am going to work with a Sony SLD1239JL-54 diode. From what I read, the diode is 650 nm and is a class IIIb. (Here is the data sheet for more info http://www.b0f.com/Laser/Data/SLD1239JL.pdf). The driver for it is going to range from 12mA to 420mA. I found a 650 nm safety goggle off ebay that is only $7.99. I just want to know if there are greater risks buying goggles that cheap or from a site that is not directly from the manufacturer? Here is the link for it that goggle that I have found. 650nm 660nm Red Laser Protection Goggles Safety Glasses | eBay Please tell me whether or not I am being scammed or if this is the wrong type of goggle for it. Thanks.

Last edited:

oahu99

Those may be fine for low power lasers, but often cheap glasses like that aren't even laser glasses, just normal safety glasses.
What I suggest is you buy a set of Eagle pair glasses from survival laser.
I know they are more expensive, but trust me it is cheaper than costly eye repair.
Just stay away from those generic glasses and buy Eagle pair.

The very cheap uvex and no brand glasses are good up to about 300mw

Then you should invest in better glasses, for your safety.

:beer:
-Matt

DJNY

Most cheap goggles for reds are more than fine. Also got a cheap pair and I can´t even see a red dot from my 500mW through glasses. Only when shining on a white surface directly in front of me.

Cata

I also bought a 300mW 660nm laser diode and cheap blue goggles on eBay.
I did an experiment:
I pointed the (un-focused) laser to a photo cell and measured 160mV.
Then I put the goggles in the way and got 90mV.
Ambient was low, I checked and didn't make any significant difference.
I feel those goggles should have attenuated more and therefore are not really "laser" goggles, just colored.
However I'm new at this so I can't tell if my measurements are relevant; can anybody comment?

Those cheap goggles should be fine but get something better when you can.

Cata, in my opinion that is probably not a very accurate way to test those goggles. The best way is to use a laser power meter and shine a focused beam directly through the goggles at the LPM sensor.

Alan