Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Iridescence

Damien

What object clear or opaque are best for absorbing and irradiating light from its surface. In other words, if I point a light at it, can the light be seen reflecting off the surface at its surface; like a mirage.

If you are not talking about laser light, then this is the wrong place to post this.

Damien

I'm assuming you're in Greenland waking in the twilight.

Ash

What object clear or opaque are best for absorbing and irradiating light from its surface. In other words, if I point a light at it, can the light be seen reflecting off the surface at its surface; like a mirage.

I think you are talking about Ulexite (TV-rock),
ulexite2.jpg
2851382667_e8b90850b5.jpg

But, I don't really understand the question. :thinking:

Damien

I think you are talking about Ulexite (TV-rock),
ulexite2.jpg
2851382667_e8b90850b5.jpg

But, I don't really understand the question. :thinking:

Interesting... Does the light enter the rock and cast itself on the other side? Ergo, a sculpture of this material and lasers hitting its base; the light would dissipate within or on its surface.

Ash

Interesting... 1. Does the light enter the rock and cast itself on the other side? 2. Ergo, a sculpture of this material and lasers hitting its base; the light would dissipate within or on its surface.
Sorry. I still don't get what you are asking. But, I'll try. :yabbem:
1. The light (laser light for instance) enters the rock on one side, and looks like a laser "dot" on the other side of the rock, but the light cast "against the wall" is in a concentric circle pattern (see first image).
2. Well, I am pretty sure the light won't dissipate within at all due to the properties of Ulexite (similar to fiber-optics). The light would just pass through the material (as seen in the image with the green laser above) and dissipate (scatter) after exiting the Ulexite crystal. :tinfoil:

Damien

Sorry. I still don't get what you are asking. But, I'll try. :yabbem:
1. The light (laser light for instance) enters the rock on one side, and looks like a laser "dot" on the other side of the rock, but the light cast "against the wall" is in a concentric circle pattern (see first image).
2. Well, I am pretty sure the light won't dissipate within at all due to the properties of Ulexite (similar to fiber-optics). The light would just pass through the material (as seen in the image with the green laser above) and dissipate (scatter) after exiting the Ulexite crystal. :tinfoil:

Yes, such a concentration of light [laser]. I'm talking about mirroring it off a surface and creating a mirage effect over the lasered surface.

aXit

Are you able to clarify what you mean my "mirage"

Still confusing me when you say that.

There are reflective diffraction gratings, you point a laser at a tile like object, and the reflected beam is diffracted into an array.

Damien

It is confusing, but is it plausible to refract the light of a laser only so far from a reflective surface?
In truth, the glare from that surface could give the optical effect of a laser splash rising several inches above it.

Last edited:

daguin

The light has to "hit" something (dust, steam, haze, etc.) in the air to be seen. Plus, it will not "stop" just a few inches above the surface, unless you stop it with something.

Peace,
dave

Damien

The light has to "hit" something (dust, steam, haze, etc.) in the air to be seen. Plus, it will not "stop" just a few inches above the surface, unless you stop it with something.

Peace,
dave

I'm inclined to agree.

201004082156101.jpg

Nightvision TV-IP422W

Last edited: