Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR wavelengths

Hi,

Can someone tell me the difference between the various IR wavelengths,

808nm, 980nm and 1064nm, in IR Handheld Lasers.

In terms of their burning abilities, visibility and shape of the red dot and any other important differences in IR Lasers between them.

Many Thanks.

norbyx

Hi, well first read THIS

As it's a question you could easily answer by yourself if you read some.

The difference is this, the 808 would be the only one that you "might" be able to see as a very faded dot, but what you will see is just a fraction of what it's really there, on the other wavelenghts they are invisible to the human eye....
This lasers are VERY DANGEROUS since they emit a beam of light that you can't see but that will harm just as any other laser, you would need special protective eyeglases for protection.

Now since the beam is invisible I would stay away from them, there is no sense in having them (at least anything over 808nm) unless you are a lab scientist and need them for some specific reason.

As it's a question you could easily answer by yourself if you read some.

Firstly, thanks for your response.

Secondly, I have read some, hence you can see the way I framed my question indicates the reason why I asked, despite reading about it on the forum, is simply because 1) I didn't come across it being discussed directly, just some references were made to it in various threads, this is why I asked here to gain some direct and solid and correct replies to it, as opposed to passing references that people have made about it in various threads, which may or may not be correct. 2) I had made thread about ir lasers already in which I mentioned a few things and I was opposed by some members, then I replied, but didn't get a counter reply, so I am left baffled and thinking, was I right in my assumptions or am I still wrong.

This is why I opened this thread, despite this issue being dealt with in various places on the forum. Not because I was too lazy to read, hence the way I framed my question indicates I have read about it, but still wanted assurance and confirmation about this issue.

I hope you understand

The difference is this, the 808 would be the only one that you "might" be able to see as a very faded dot, but what you will see is just a fraction of what it's really there, on the other wavelenghts they are invisible to the human eye....

Let me get this straight, with all of them I will not be able to see the beam at all, but with 808nm I will be able to see the dot? is that correct?
I read on the jetlaser site, that the dot could be seen with all of them, but the 830nm or the 930nm (can't remember which) has a squarish dot and the others 808nm and 1064nm has a circle dot? is that correct?

This lasers are VERY DANGEROUS since they emit a beam of light that you can't see but that will harm just as any other laser, you would need special protective eyeglases for protection.

Poeple keep going on about how dangerous it is,but ir laser at 1w isn't more dangerous than a green laser at 1w? in terms of burning ability?
the only thing that makes it more dangerous is the fact that the beam is invisible, is that correct?

Now since the beam is invisible I would stay away from them, there is no sense in having them (at least anything over 808nm) unless you are a lab scientist and need them for some specific reason.

And that is because anything above 808nm burns better?
or because 808nm is just about visible, but anything about is totally invisible?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Its not more dangerous than a 1W laser in a visable wavelength. The issue is with a bright ass green laser you body will tell you "dont look at that you idiot its bright as f#$k". With an IR laser you dont have that reflex but there is still the same amount of light there. But now youre staring at it wide eyed with un dilated pupils and your retinas are sucking in all that light. Thats why people are agaisnt them. Unless ypure pumping crystals or have a very specific need to IR I would recommend a visible wavelength and safety glasses. My 3W 445 burns way more than I need it to. I would recommend that route.

Its not more dangerous than a 1W laser in a visable wavelength. The issue is with a bright ass green laser you body will tell you "dont look at that you idiot its bright as f#$k". With an IR laser you dont have that reflex but there is still the same amount of light there. But now youre staring at it wide eyed with un dilated pupils and your retinas are sucking in all that light. Thats why people are agaisnt them. Unless ypure pumping crystals or have a very specific need to IR I would recommend a visible wavelength and safety glasses. My 3W 445 burns way more than I need it to. I would recommend that route.

Thanks for that,

I see what your saying, but what is the role of protective goggles in all this?

Granted that a green laser etc is bright so you'd naturally look away, but even with that natural tendency to look away you'd still need to wear goggles or protective specs. so what is the difference with IR laser?

Meaning, although that naturally tendency to look away will not be there, but the very fact that you'd be wearing protective specs. before you turn the IR laser on, would that not be enough protection in the event of a person inadvertently looking in the direction of the IR laser after turning it on?

Last edited:
If youre wearing glasses rated at the wavelength your using then you are just as safe as a visible wavelength while wearing glasses. Just dont be fooled by the dim red dot without glasses and think its not very powerful.

norbyx

Protective glasses will avoid any harm if you get the right ones. Now since the beam is basically invisible and the dot with the glasses on will become invisible as well, what is the point of owning a hi power ir laser? I bought mine just because it was cheap and I wanted to experiment with a IR camera that will see the laser beam, but other than that I would rather see where the beam is to burn stuff and being able to point the beam in the right direction.

Now since the beam is basically invisible and the dot with the glasses on will become invisible as well,

Thank You that is a good point and certainly does seem to make my intended use of an ir, redundant now.

what is the point of owning a hi power ir laser? I bought mine just because it was cheap and I wanted to experiment with a IR camera that will see the laser beam, but other than that I would rather see where the beam is to burn stuff and being able to point the beam in the right direction.

I suppose you could attach a smaller redundant visible laser to the ir laser and that would be enough to see the direction the ir is heading in, expecially if your burning things at longer distances, in which case pointpoint accuracy isn't needed..?

My own personal intended use is to pop balloons at greater distances, like these guys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTnqamZJ97g

popped a balloon at ten metres in the above video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBp7o9_jTII

Popped a balloon outdoors at 40metres using a telescope in addition to a 1w blue laser.

So with a blue laser at 1w, you could comfortably pop a balloon at 10 metres max. without a beam expander...

If that is correct, then with an IR laser at 2W, (without a beam expander)
the distance you could pop a balloon at would be 15metres? 20metres?

Hence I want to know which handheld laser, at what power and wavelength, will give me the maximum distance possible in which a balloon could be popped (without a beam expander).? If someone could answer this, I would be most grateful.

That is why I was looking into IR, as I was reading that IR better for burning long at distances as compared to the visible wavelengths.

Thank You.

Last edited:

norbyx

Well here is the deal... it's all a matter of collimation of the beam and divergence. If you have a powerfull laser with a good beam you could easily pop ballons at a great distance. Now the problem with Hi-power blue lasers, or reds, is that the diodes that provide you with a over 1W laser most of the times deliver a square shape light.
Now I personally don't know about the IR since mine is on the way and I have no idea if the divergence is lower than other visible colors, but even if it was, how could you possibly see the beam, or the dot, at say, 40mt unless you used a pair of IR night vision goggles? You aiming at a ballon would be very very poor in the best case.
So I don't see why you would want a IR laser.

Also in the videos you posted there are no IR lasers, just a blue and a UV...

Well here is the deal... it's all a matter of collimation of the beam and divergence. If you have a powerfull laser with a good beam you could easily pop ballons at a great distance. Now the problem with Hi-power blue lasers, or reds, is that the diodes that provide you with a over 1W laser most of the times deliver a square shape light.
Now I personally don't know about the IR since mine is on the way and I have no idea if the divergence is lower than other visible colors, but even if it was, how could you possibly see the beam, or the dot, at say, 40mt unless you used a pair of IR night vision goggles? You aiming at a ballon would be very very poor in the best case.
So I don't see why you would want a IR laser.

Also in the videos you posted there are no IR lasers, just a blue and a UV...

I think you didn't read my previous post properly or I wasn't clear enough.

Based upon your mentioning that the ir spot would not be visible with goggles and goggles is a must for ir, hence I said in my previous post,
'... certainly does seem to make my intended use of an ir, redundant now.'

which meant me going for an ir is pointless now, after what you said.

thereupon I mentioned my purpose and put somevideos up showing what I intended...my considering ir first and foremost was simply due to is burning abilities at longer distances, but if the spot isnt visible with goggles on, then of course, me seeking an ir is null and void. This is what I was trying to get at in my previous post.

Which leaves me seeking an alternative i.e. laser from the visible wavelengths.

phenol

high power 808nm multimode diodes have very poor beam specs and tend to produce elongated bars that grow even longer with distance. Chances are that a 1w diode will pop nothing farther than couple of meters away.
Something with a fac lens right in front of the emitter would yield better results.

I powerfull 445 will get you that burning capability you want. Add a beam expander to it to get that same power over a greater distance.

Green laser handheld 190 balloon pop record in a row 1500mw lasever module not krypton Laserpointer - YouTube

this laser uses a module from lasever. the cost of the module alone is over $500, plus you would need to have it put in a host and such, so maybe this option is not viable. the 445nm burn well as noted by others, but the effective distance is also limited by divergence, as others also noted

Wow! amazing video, thanks for that...you made my day. :thanks:

Bacon

The square or bars shape is because it is multimode diode. You could find a single mode for tight beam, but usually higher prices and less power. I believe that different wavelenghts hold unique properties like UV and IR seem to much more efficient at burning than the visible wavelengths. If you have the time 808 could be used to get 1064 and halved with KTP crystal for 532...

norbyx

Well I have to ask.... why do you want to pop baloos at a distance?
I have seen that video and it is amazing, but, first that laser is well over 1W in green, that is just an amazing number (mine comes close but not close enough), also the laser module is over $600 at the moment, plus all the rest so even if not incredibly expensive for a green laser, it isn't cheap ether.
As for your needs, I would suggest you get a blue 445nm focusable laser. Powers go from 1 to 3.5W depending on the diode.
I am quite sure that with more than 3W you will be able to pop baloons as you like.

Also take a look at my review on the rick trents laser, he makes some great lasers at reasonable prices.