Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR saftey with 40 green laser pointer beam

I bought 40 green 5mw laser pointers. (the cheap kind off of ebay) I tested them (with the HLPM II​) all and their power was all over the place. from 5mw all the way to 50mw. The average was 23mw. The plan is to have these lasers set up on the perimeter of a 6 foot diameter circle shooting upwards on a stage with atmospheric haze so we can see the beams. Two actors will be facing each other standing in the center of the circle while the lasers are on for 30 seconds and then turn off for a couple minutes. This process repeats about 6 times. Now that these lasers are not really 5mw I'm worried about the extra IR. Will the actors, audience eyes be safe with all this IR coming from these beams that now average 23mw?

diachi

As long as they don't take a beam to the eye, then yes. The IR follows the path of the green beam, although will be slightly more divergent. Not to mention, all of that output you measured won't be IR. Only a portion of it will be, the green output will be higher on those lasers with higher output.

diachi

thanks @Diachi. that puts my mind at ease.

That said, the way you're doing it isn't the way I'd do it. Not to mention, depending on your location, you may need permits to set this up legally. Check into your local laws, make sure you are following all necessary safety procedures.