Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR laser popping balloons

Wanted to ask if it would be possible to easily pop a balloon at a distance of 50 metres with an IR laser? and what power out would be best for it?

Thanks.

IsaacT

It will depend highly on the divergence of the IR laser and the power and also(at lower powers) the color of the balloon.

IIRC IR Lasers see Clear Balloons as opaque, so you should use clear ones(if this is wrong someone let me know).
Power output would need to be decently high, higher if the diode is multimode or has bad beam specs.

Why do you want to use an IR laser though? This could be quite dangerous, especially if there are people nearby. Reflections, and just the difficulty of aiming an IR laser, make this a very iffy thing to attempt. I would recommend trying with a visible laser. But still not around people. You don't want that kind of trouble.

It will depend highly on the divergence of the IR laser and the power and also(at lower powers) the color of the balloon.

IIRC IR Lasers see Clear Balloons as opaque, so you should use clear ones(if this is wrong someone let me know).
Power output would need to be decently high, higher if the diode is multimode or has bad beam specs.

So what sort of power would I be looking at 1watt? 2 or 3?
Why do you want to use an IR laser though?

I read on the forum that IR is the most powerful for long distance burning?

just the difficulty of aiming an IR laser, make this a very iffy thing to attempt. I would recommend trying with a visible laser.

Though the beam may not be visible, but I was under the impression that the red dot would be visible given the divergence at such a distance,
so it would be a case of me aiming the laser in the direction of, say a black balloon at around 50 metres, so I should be able to see the red dot on the black balloon as it would large enough? and then keep in on there till the balloon pops?

to op: the answer is a resounding bucket of no. In the powers you'd need, the beam is multimode and will diverge to the point of abject absurdity. Maybe with a CO2 and a beam expander, but that's not easy, safe, or cheap in any way.

That doesn't make any sense. If clear balloons were opaque to IR (and they're not), how would it be possible for ADDED pigments to make it more transparent?

Even black balloons are relatively transparent if you go into mid IR:

SAM_2995.jpg

IR_0110.jpg

IsaacT

There was a video I saw of a guy showing off his CO2 laser and he was burning glass and saying it was opaque to the laser. That's what I was basing what I said off of. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks,
Isaac

Thanks for the replies,

As I have seen some youtube videos where ppl are popping balloons at 1O metres without an expander, and at like 20 metres with an expander/scope

So can someone tell me what is the maximum distance I could realistically and easily pop a balloon at, with both an ir and a visible laser, and what power should I be looking at for that purpose?

I mean are you just looking to secretly burn things from a distance? What's your interest?

Ahhhh, archery, neat. In my personal experience single mode 405nm diodes will be your best bet for long range burning and low visibility. GL