Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR laser info needed...

Hey guys, I'm new to lasers, especially IR lasers. What is the difference in the different wavelengths? 808 seems to be the most popular on lazerer. Also, as far as burning or heat goes, there are plenty of videos on youtube about what they will burn close up...but out to what distances would you notice the heat from the laser? Specifically from a 2W laser. Like when I think about IR lasers I think about that scene from National Treasure where they set off the heat sensor on the Declaration of Independence from about 10 or so feet away. If I were to hold it on a thermometer at that distance, would I notice a temp change?

No one here is going to give you any assistance after a cryptic answer like that, which implies some form of foul play.
How does that imply some form of foul play? It's just something I want to play with around the house. I don't plan on actually going and setting off the heat sensors on the Declaration of Independence! I've got a green laser that will light matches and pop balloons and stuff like that...I just want to try out an IR laser. What's the difference? Dang I didn't know we had the IR laser Nazis in here! I mean I'm just trying to find out some info on them...hypothetical questions. Why does everyone have to assume when a person who is new to this stuff and asking questions their only intentions are "foul play"?

I try to keep members away from IR lasers, you can't see the beam and by the time you realize that you have been hit or someone else has been by a stray beam or reflection it's to late and your blind. They are very dangerous and most of the members will try to steer you away from getting one, I don't have one and don't want anything to do with one.

I try to keep members away from IR lasers, you can't see the beam and by the time you realize that you have been hit or someone else has been by a stray beam or reflection it's to late and your blind. They are very dangerous and most of the members will try to steer you away from getting one, I don't have one and don't want anything to do with one.
Thanks for the info man. Good to know.
When they give cryptic, answers... yes.
00Giorge answered my question just fine...apparently you don't have a clue what you're talking about and only get on here to troll. I deal a lot with that on the ford-trucks.com forum and tacomaworld.com forum. Nobody wants to give an answer, but rather just bash your question. You know despite what you may see on the news or read in the paper about all these bad people and bad crimes being committed, there are good people still left in the world. And actually, if you really payed attention, you'd find there are more of those than bad people. So you don't have to assume everyone is a criminal right off the bat. If you feel you do, maybe a cop was the career path you should have chosen.

Last edited:
IR lasers can be very dangerous since you can't see them. I think InfinitusEquitas was just trying to keep you from blinding yourself or others.

Fiddy

Something to play with...

Response:

denied.png

Not good enough buddy.

They are far too dangerous in the hands of people who want to 'play'.

Listen to the forum Vets!

Something to play with...
If you want to "PLAY" with an IR Laser I would suggest a
<5mW IR Laser for your own and others safety for the
reasons posted above...

Unless you are experienced in the use and dangers of IR
Lasers I would suggest you steer clear until you are....

Jerry