Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR filters

Hi im thinking of selling lots of IR filters for lasers but im curious as to how much you guys would pay for them. Im not selling them yet i just need to know what people pay at the moment sorry if its in the wrong thread.

To be honest, the optotronics filters are not very effective. That's why they're so cheap.. If you're selling BG-38 or -39 absorption glass (or equivalent) then $5.00 for a ~10mm x 1.5mm filter would be fair. If they're AR coated for 532nm, $7.50. If AR coated for 473nm or 593nm (rare and hard to find) $20.00 - 30.00.. That's more reasonable then the competition, and would guarantee you sales if you advertised right.. These prices are without shipping.

You can charge whatever you want, really, this is just a suggestion based on the offerings of the competition..

ElektroFreak, you seem to know much about IR filters :)

Do you know how much of the IR the optotronics filters absorb?

Let's say on a 30mW green or on a 100mW blu-ray :)

How much of the visable light do they remove?

Well first off, you don't need IR filters for blu-rays, red DVD diodes or any diode laser for that matter. They are only used with DPSS lasers like green (532nm), yellow (593nm) and true blue (473nm).

The optotronics filters are KG-2 or equivalent. Here is the transmission datasheet:
http://www.optical-filters.com/kg2.html

You can see that the cutoff curve is not as steep as for BG-38 (the preferred IR filter material) as you can see here:
http://www.optical-filters.com/bg38.html

If you compare the two graphs, you'll see that the KG-2 allows a bit more light through at 808 and 1064nm than the BG-38. The steeper curve means better filtration. Hope this helps..

Okay, thanks. I'll only have a blu-ray and a powerfull red(Wearing glasses with the red though).

When your already answering i have another question. If i got a 50-60 mW Blu-Ray laser, does i need eye protection? (Ofc i will not look into it, and avoid reflecting surfaces the best i can)

Side question: You now how low you can push the PHR-803T diode? A guy from here told me that if it's to low, it won't light.

Btw, how do i give rep :)?

EDIT: If i got a 50mW green laser 532nM i think, if i put IR filter on, do i need glasses if i handle it as i said i'll handle the low blu-ray ?

I would have eye protection for any laser > 5mW. You get blinded when you think you're acting safe but you're not. That's why they're accidents. People have been blinded by reflections from RAINDROPS before, so don't risk your eyes, you only have two!

For the PHR-803T I think it lases at like 30mA or so, so probably 20mW-30mW or something for output, but I'm not sure. Don't quote me on that.

Okay.. Bionic-Badger, i totally understand your point, but much of the fun part of lasers dissappears when glasses are on, and the beam is weak. :/

jonasa0601 said:
Okay, thanks. I'll only have a blu-ray and a powerfull red(Wearing glasses with the red though).

When your already answering i have another question. If i got a 50-60 mW Blu-Ray laser, does i need eye protection? (Ofc i will not look into it, and avoid reflecting surfaces the best i can)

Side question: You now how low you can push the PHR-803T diode? A guy from here told me that if it's to low, it won't light.

Btw, how do i give rep :)?

EDIT: If i got a 50mW green laser 532nM i think, if i put IR filter on, do i need glasses if i handle it as i said i'll handle the low blu-ray ?

Like BionicBadger said, it's best to use goggles with any laser over 5mW, regardless of color. Using an IR filter won't negate the need for goggles. In truth, as long as you're not around any reflective surfaces and your power output is under ~500mW you don't need goggles. All you need to do is avoid getting the beam in your eyes. It is rare, however, that someone would be in an area with absolutely no reflective surfaces. Even wristwatches pose a reflection hazard..

Also, you can't give rep points until you've had 50 posts.. If you remember later you can give one then.

Okay, thanks. So actually can i at night take a powerfull laser outside, and point in the air and such, with no glasses? :)

Yes, as long as you keep it away from windows, mirrors, etc.. Also, watch out for aircraft. You can be taken to jail for pointing at aircraft in most 1st world countries.