Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR filter and how to mount

Book

I am about to buy the 200mW green laser pointer from DX. It says it uses a NewWish brand diode and I think I've read somewhere here that those diodes have an integrated IR filter? I don't know, so anyway I wanted to buy an IR filter too, but DX doesn't seem to have any, or they are ridiculously expensive or they are meant for HID flashlights (I think). Do you know of a site that would ship internationally (I live in europe) where I can buy an IR filter?

And if it's like a piece of huge (for the laser) glass, is there a neat way to mount it to my laser? I can cut it somehow, but then how to insert it?

Book

How will I be able to mount this on my DX laser? Has anybody bought both?

Yeah, what I'd do is open up your pen case, pull out the driver (not by the spring!!) and cut the filter out to the right shape. Make sure the lens is 100% clean, then glue it on the end. That's how I'd do it, but someone probably has a better idea i.e. what glue to use that doesn't give off fumes that rape your lens...

JLSE

If you buy the IR filter from NOVA, it has to be cut. You can make 4 out of one, one simply wont fit. They are something like  10x10mm, they come wrapped in tissue which i keep on it and split them with straight cutters (snips).  They can also shatter quite easily and i have lost one to little pieces :mad:

Light coloured epoxy or silicone on the sides hold it in place just fine. Dont use crazy glue, its too thin and a tiny drop will spread everywhere. Not too mention the glaze it will put on the filter and possibly the lens.

Could you snap them by etching out a line with a ruler + needle and snapping with your fingers?

Book

Your IR filter looks like it's bent in that photo! Anyway, I was hoping for a solution that would allow me to insert or remove the filter whenever I wanted. For example removing it to allow more power to burn stuff and then putting it back in for viewing safety.

When you said crazy glue youy meant cyanoacrylate-based glue? I was considering something like that for glueing, but I wasn't sure.
What if I glued it on the outside of the laser?

VW

http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=86

Imo, I would save your self the trouble by saving up a bit more money and get your self the X 100mW. Nova Lasers are renowned for sending out over powered units and chances are you'll recieve a laser which probably averages and peaks in the 115mW - 125mW range. This is more than enough for things like lighting matches, burning plastic and popping baloons. Now, while it's a lower power to the DX laser, it's a DPSS laser and not a diode laser meaning it has much better divergence and beam quality, it also has an IR filter built into it already so you don't have to worry about that.

I don't know, just a suggestion, but if I was in your shoes that's what I would do...

roSSco

VW said:
http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=86

Imo, I would save your self the trouble by saving up a bit more money and get your self the X 100mW. Nova Lasers are renowned for sending out over powered units and chances are you'll recieve a laser which probably averages and peaks in the 115mW - 125mW range. This is more than enough for things like lighting matches, burning plastic and popping baloons. Now, while it's a lower power to the DX laser, it's a DPSS laser and not a diode laser meaning it has much better divergence and beam quality, it also has an IR filter built into it already so you don't have to worry about that.

I don't know, just a suggestion, but if I was in your shoes that's what I would do...
If it's green, it's DPSS. ;)

VW

roSSco said:
[quote author=VW link=1210801927/0#9 date=1211313205]http://www.novalasers.com/NOVAstore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=3&idproduct=86

Imo, I would save your self the trouble by saving up a bit more money and get your self the X 100mW.  Nova Lasers are renowned for sending out over powered units and chances are you'll recieve a laser which probably averages and peaks in the 115mW - 125mW range.  This is more than enough for things like lighting matches, burning plastic and popping baloons.  Now, while it's a lower power to the DX laser, it's a DPSS laser and not a diode laser meaning it has much better divergence and beam quality, it also has an IR filter built into it already so you don't have to worry about that.  

If it's green, it's DPSS.  ;)[/quote]
I see, I thought he was indicating this particular model was a standard diode. Oh well, even then, go for quality over quantity. 100mW of safe, sturdy, reliable and good quality laser, vs 200mW of well built but unsafe, cheap, probably a bit dodgy and not as good quality as the latter. I know which one I choose...

diachi

I'd go with the Nova. Since they are renowned for their quality.

@VW all green lasers are DPSS there are no green diodes.

Book

Actually, I've already ordered the 200mW green from DX, I don't know why you wouldn't want it. Just because the 100mW of nova over-performs at maybe 125mW doesn't mean that it's better than a 200mW that underperforms at 190mW or even less. I'll let you know how it performs when I get it.

1) Now, because I've heard some things about how difficult it is to allign the crystals, I want to know if there is a chance of me messing up my laser if I try to mount the IR filter. I'll order the Nova IR filter right away

2) At the beggining I was considering not to mount one at all, in order to have more power for burning, but when they say 200mW they mean 200mW of green light and not IR, right?

3) Why does the nova IR filter mention two different types of wavelength for IR? Are there 2 types of IR laser diodes, or maybe more? I hope I am safe with this one.

Book

OK these are my last questions I won't bother you anymore with the IR filter!