Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR Diode Safety

Ryo

I was going to build up a IR laser since I have some NV equipment. I plan to make it 5mW or less.. Would I need eye protection still since it's low power? I would assume so since it's a non visibile spectrum and your eyes won't react to that light being shined in your eyes (assuming someone looks directly into the laser). What about reflective as well.. is it dangerous? I tried reading the FAQs but they don't talk about this specifically.. only warnings about the green laser producing IR.

Ryo

Anybody? I really need to know if there's risk of eye damage using a low power IR. Specific values I'm looking at are 2mW, 5mW, and 30 mW.

Thanks..

at 5mW its pretty safe. just dont be pointing it in your eyes. but at that power its very lame. what are you gonna do with it? 30mW would be more concerning. unless you're flooding the light and not focusing it.

Ryo

I was thinking of using it in conjunction with some Gen 2 night vision equipment I have. I just wanted to make sure when I'm using it I don't hurt anybody with it by accident. Of course I will not try to point it anybody, but accidents may happen and I want to make sure I don't hurt anyone.

As for focus and flooding the beam. Depending on how big the beam gets at long ranges. I really am not sure yet since I've never dealt with anything other than standard pointers.

i think it has to be pretty powerful to illuminate any great amount of area. potentially unsafe. you should go with an IR flashlight instead as it is harmless light, not radiation ;D

Ryo

I already have a IR flashlight.. actually have a few.  Low power keychains, medium power flashlight and high power LED one that go up to 200 yards.  :)

diachi

HumanSymphony said:
i think it has to be pretty powerful to illuminate any great amount of area. potentially unsafe. you should go with an IR flashlight instead as it is harmless light, not radiation ;D

IR light from IR flashlights is still radiation, just not focused or coherent so its more safe :p

Diachi said:
[quote author=HumanSymphony link=1219119687/0#4 date=1219217655]i think it has to be pretty powerful to illuminate any great amount of area. potentially unsafe. you should go with an IR flashlight instead as it is harmless light, not radiation ;D

IR light from IR flashlights is still radiation, just not focused or coherent so its more safe :p
[/quote]
yea yea thats what i meant lol :p