Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR diode from a GGW sled.

I completely harvested the IR diode from a GGW sled (diode out and everything). I was wondering what current I should drive this bad boy at for some good power. I won't put it in anything for quite a while, but I do have some anti-static bags that I can put the diode in for storage for the time being. Also, could I have the pin layout for this particular diode? thanks!

The pin out should be the same as a red diode, try using the search function to find the current this can handle.

I completely harvested the IR diode from a GGW sled (diode out and everything). I was wondering what current I should drive this bad boy at for some good power. I won't put it in anything for quite a while, but I do have some anti-static bags that I can put the diode in for storage for the time being. Also, could I have the pin layout for this particular diode? thanks!

I couldn't find any info on the current of the IR diode... I'm curious as well.

edit: I've never actually used one of the IR diodes, I always throw them away.

thanks,
Kendall

Last edited:
i think most people throw them away... i know that readers are 40ma max but i have absolutely no idea for burners

I'd think I read they're under 300mA.

The rest you can find by search bloom. Try it someday, you might learn something.

I extracted a few of these back in the day... and I gotta say its a pain in the sitbone.

Use a multimeter to check which leads are positive or negative, I don't remember exactly. I do remember, however, that they are not very powerful. If you want to mess around with IR then just buy an Open Can sled and get the IR out of that one. Those are nice diodes. I think I had one running stable 160mW for about a year.

Regards,

amk

I extracted a few of these back in the day... and I gotta say its a pain in the sitbone.

Use a multimeter to check which leads are positive or negative, I don't remember exactly. I do remember, however, that they are not very powerful. If you want to mess around with IR then just buy an Open Can sled and get the IR out of that one. Those are nice diodes. I think I had one running stable 160mW for about a year.

Regards,

amk

The red LOC's? I can't ever find sleds for them....well, I think Hightechdealz has em, I'll check. And I tried search but I didn't get anything, and I've never seen any info on these diodes, so I'm sorry...

The red LOC's? I can't ever find sleds for them....well, I think Hightechdealz has em, I'll check. And I tried search but I didn't get anything, and I've never seen any info on these diodes, so I'm sorry...

I did a couple group buys for the Long DIE Open can sleds about a year ago, and my supplier still has them. I could do another if there is interest. Last I checked I had one running at 300mW with the glass optics and right driver/heat sinking.

I am just getting back into LPF after a few months' leave, and I may be out of the loop. I don't know if a newer Red diode has shown up or not.

Regards,

amk

Yes, the pinout is the same as your standard red LOC/LCC diode. I play with these when Im bored and have some extra time, last one I was messing with, I had taken to 150mA and was getting around 90+mW out of it when it LED'd, but I was testing the power under 808nm wavelength, I think these may be around 780nm so some accuracy would have been lost. I currently have pnemonia, but when I feel better I will do some more testing with these and post the results.

It should also be noted that mine LED'd because it wasnt in a heatsink and it overheated, now that I got my MAXSINK in, I should be able to take these babies alot higher!

EDIT: Hey Kendall, if you have any of those IR diodes laying around, you can send them to me instead of tossing them, I would pay for the shipping of course:beer:

Last edited:
i too would be interested in any extra IR diodes you have after you have gave kingdave however many he wants (i too would pay shipping and any other costs)

i too would be interested in any extra IR diodes you have after you have gave kingdave however many he wants (i too would pay shipping and any other costs)

You can have first dibs if you want, I got a handfull of these from pyro last week, so im good for the time being. I just like to have em on hand because I tend to blow through them rather quickly:eg:

Was the part about you blowing through them rather quickly supposed to be a pun?