Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IR burning

Hello,

So I'm getting really interested in these lasers and I wanted to get some more information about the burning process of red lasers. I've read thaht there is also IR emition. N
ow I was wondering is it the IR that has to be bundled to burn trough stuff or is it the red laser beam ?
And if so it is the IR, can this be bundled like any other light beam ?

Thanks,
Extroncore
------------

chefla

Red lasers don't emit IR. You have confused it with DPSS green lasers. I think you need to do some reading here on the forum before posting such questions.

Red lasers don't emit IR. You have confused it with DPSS green lasers. I think you need to do some reading here on the forum before posting such questions.

That's odd, when i connected a red laser and looked at it with my webcam i saw the invisible IR.
Well not looking straight into the laser I was shinning on a paper and when I looked at it with my cam I saw i bright light on it wich was not visible with the human eye so I thaught this was IR ...

Ok

And if i had an IR laser, does this has the same principal as a red burning laser , focus the IR light and just let it burn or does this work differently ?

Greetz,
Extroncore
------------

Helios

Just the same unless its ultra deep IR like a co2 laser. But any diode will work the same.

IR burning capabilities are totally different than red laser burning capabilities, even if both have the same power.

I have these two lasers:

1. O-like cute 250mw red, 660nm, which is actually around 210mw (peak 221mw).

2. O-like 200-220mw IR, 808nm, which is actually around 200mw (peak 204mw).

So I consider the two lasers similar in power.

Nevertheless, there are huge differences in burning capabilities between them.

While the cute red is a good burner and can light a match three meters distance, the IR can hardly do it 20cm distance.

For further information, please refer to this link.