Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ion Generator Help

I'm trying to power this ion generator,

SALE! 120VAC (7.5kV Output) Negative Ion Generator-The Electronic Goldmine

With a car power inverter. The generator is simply a diode, capacitor stack... I'm pretty sure anyways...

I'm using a 75 watt inverter, since the generator is powered by straight mains.

My goal is to walk around with this setup tied to my leg or something. This will leave me charged up. With the flip of a switch, I want to be able to shock my friends.

I'm currently using two 12V lantern batteries in parallel to supply power.

Though when I power it all up... I'm not getting hardly anything from the generator. I checked the inverter's voltage, and the batteries voltage during operation, and its all sufficient, but nothing from the generator... I can't even get any good sparks from it while grounding it!

Though... here's the weird part. Whenever I'm holding the generator's output, I can touch the heatsink on the inverter... and get a nice 7000VDC zap! I can literally hold my finger 3mm away from the heatsink and get a continuous arc. Why am I getting 7K from the inverter??

Note: The in-line fuse to the inverter is rated 15A...

How do I get this circuit up and running?

Thanks for any help!

20942_1230974297310_1317690211_30603819_2825354_n.jpg

20942_1230974337311_1317690211_30603820_7656683_n.jpg

-Tyler

Last edited:

jaycey

Sorry Meaty, I have not a clue what this is but im PMSL "strapping it to your leg & Shocking your friends"

Good luck fella!

KiLLrB

@OP Think it would be much less complicated if you just got an electric cattle prod or a taser:crackup:

Yes... to my calf or somewhere that it is not noticeable. The idea is to shock people with no way of them knowing that I'm wearing this....

The idea is just the same as the pikashoes... except I have a 120volt generator.. not a 12V.

Yes... to my calf or somewhere that it is not noticeable. The idea is to shock people with no way of them knowing that I'm wearing this....

The idea is just the same as the pikashoes... except I have a 120volt generator.. not a 12V.

KiLLrB

I was kidding lol

haha no, I was talking to Jaycey... who referred to my leg... so it was my calve... not calf.. my misspelling lol. I'll try perhaps the HV forum for some more help... this is kind of a weird issue anyways.

KiLLrB

lmao i didnt even notice the calf thing then me saying cattle prod lmao that would be an interesting place to hide it from unsuspecting victims though lol

Here is your problem, Inverters are square wave, mains are sine wave....

I tried to run my green lab laser on an inverter, it did not work either.

I have a schematic for a handshake zapper, if you want.

Last edited:
The very first one, read the text... Square wave.

All you need to do is build a small oscillator (higher frequencies are better) and feed it to a small transistor radio output (speaker transformer) wired backwards so the 8 ohm side is excited by the oscillator, and the 1-2Kohm coil is your output.

Just enough juice to startle the other person, but not even close to enough to hurt them.

It's an electronics project they taught in high school back in the 80's

The whole circuit can run off a 9 volt radio battery, and the whole thing will weigh in at less than a half pound (unless you put it in a lead box)

It's tiny, easy to hide and harmless.

Dang it... I must've missed that part.. I'll have to look further into an oscillator circuit then as you suggested.

Thanks for your help!

-Tyler

OMG how did I ever forget this Piezo zapper, no power required.

Rip the clicker button out of an old propane BBQ grill, or a flintless lighter.

The red button from a gas grill (it throws the spark to light the grill) has a hell of a wallop to it, and the whole thing fits in your hand.

They work great on potato guns too.