Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Intro - Onion

onion

The name here is Onion, that was my fathers nickname.
He owned the first Harley dealership in Alabama. A harley shop is a great place to grow up and had a blast.

On to the news...

I am a General Class Amateur Ham radio operator and I also hold a FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License (GROL).

Holding also degrees in Machine Technology, Electronic Engineering and Information Technology.

I am currently retired due to a high-voltage accident that left me a bi-lateral amputee.

A loving wife that is a Operations Manager for a dialysis clinic and 3 great kids that are a lawyer, engineer and model.

I have work lots of jobs while putting myself thru school. I worked in machine shops, as a anchor rigger to a seismograph operator for a blasting company.

After going thru electronics school I went to work for a company that built modems.

Then to my first Olympic project building a A/V switcher for 3M going to the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea.

Then I worked for a number of years for Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) as assistant Chief Engineer. I also was at the ground floor of the WEWN shortwave station in Vandiver, Alabama.

I left EWTN for another Olympic project, this time the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Ga. Where I was Engineer in Charge of Georgia Dome Gymnastics broadcast system.

After that and coming home I went to work for the City of Birmingham in the Traffic Engineering department. After about 8 years there I had a accident.

I became a disabled bi-lateral amputee from contacting a ground line that was energized with high-voltage, with 13,500 volts. Lots of pain and LOTS of burns, 50% 3rd and 4th degree.

Whoever said, "STOP, DROP AND ROLL" has never been on fire before. It turns into, "OHH, CRAP AND RUN" in a hurry.

Yet with the Lords help I try not to let it slow me down.

197 days in the hospital, a year and half of rehab with daily dressing changes. I was so hot that when they put the flames out I re-ignited. Would have not made it without the Lord and my loving wife beside me the whole time. She helped me learn to walk again.

As a child my Dad owned the first Harley-Davidson dealership in Alabama and I still ride my Harley. Something the doctors never thought I'd do.

I have traveled around the world, touched the sky and the bottom of the ocean. I have stood on the steps of Apollo's Temple. Gazed in to the Oracle at Delphi. Drank from the Mediterranean Sea at Poseidon's gateway. Stood on the rubble that remained of the Wall of East meeting the West.

Stood on massive glaciers in Alaska, listened to corn grow in Alabama. Sat were Presidents have spoke in Washington and prayed where native Americans have died in South Dakota.

I have always been instrested in lazing, even before it was cool. My first was a common and inexpensive gas laser, the helium-neon laser that was constructed to operate in the red at 632.8.
Still have it today.

Jobs in machine technolgy have exposed me to some medium powered welding lasers. A 50 watt argon that was used to spot weld.

Yet I'm most interested in the Ruby, the granddaddy of all lasers. No blue-tooth 750 mw's here, were talking about distancing the moon!

Always wanted to combine my ham radio interest and lasers to one day do a moon bounce with CW.

Enough layers for ya Morgan? :D

Welcome to LPF

I have to say You got Opinions, and You certainly express them. Glad You're here, and hope You stay. Try not to piss-off the vets too much:D

Welcome to LPF bro, there is a ton to learn and some of the best guys around that are interested in it.

wow!!!! that was very interesting tks for sharing that with us ..WELCOME TO L.P.F.!!! you will love it here lots of good info.very addicting i must say...

onion

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Glad to be here and hope to get to know all of you.

Onion

Morgan

Enough layers for ya Morgan? :D

Most defintiely! Seems a few of them have become fried onions, :p , but it sounds like you're doing alright considering. That must have been one hell of an experience.

A very interesting CV you have there, thanks for sharing. Now we know your opinions come from a widely experienced and well travelled individual. It's always difficult to judge a person from a single post, and perhaps we shouldn't try, but for my part I like to know people and I can only do that by communitcating. Sometimes a question; sometimes a challenge; sometimes a joke; sometimes a poke; but always with honesty.

In this case I think we now know this onion will add plenty flavour and probably not make us cry!

Welcome aboard. IMHO! ;)

M
:)

welcome.gif
to the Forum...

It's nice to see a well seasoned individual with a life repertoire
so impressive...
There are some very knowledgeable members here that will
be more than pleased to lend a hand in any Laser associated
endeavours or projects..

Glad to have you here....:wave:
Enjoy your stay...:cool:

Jerry

from one burned guy to another.... welcome to LPF man. i was actually in an electrical room with my grandpa. he jumped phases on a 4000amp 480v panel and it cause a huge arc that burned me and my brother. we were in the hospital for 3 weeks and had many operations and skin grafts. so i feel ya!!! the irony is that i love burning stuff with my lasers.

michael.

G'day Everyone

I am also new to this and gosh i havent been through anything like that... I am just a hairdresser in Australia... And Ive been looking for a new hobby and I love Lasers and I have only recently joined the forum and been sitting back in the shadows, to nervious to ask anything because I dont know anything and you guys seem to be brains at it all and didnt want to look to stupid.. but anyway ive bit the bullet and here i am.

Have a good day guys

Marc:bowdown:

^^^ ooops, you havent been through any drama? well you aren't welcomed here. Jk, welcome, welcome. and no, lasers do not stimulate hair growth. i thought i would tell you that now to save you from future ridicule since youre a hairdresser.

michael

I'm just a lowly tech. :( But as little as I talk.. which is primarily only at hamfests.. I never really felt the need to upgrade.

Thanks for the welcome and a very big thank you for the wealth of information on here the search feature works awesome.... I am gradualy learning how things work..
And thanks for the tip on laser not stimulating hair growth..lol

Marc

onion

I'm just a lowly tech. :( But as little as I talk.. which is primarily only at hamfests.. I never really felt the need to upgrade.

That is what is so great about the ham radio world. There is just as much going on above 50Mhz as below.

Microwave, moonbounce and slow/fast scan tv just to name a few. Also now with D-Star a tech can talk around the world also.

Great days my friends, great days.

When all else fails!