Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interested in using Sonic Screwdriver replica as a host

First off, I'm a new member, so hello! I've been lurking these forums for a while now, and bought a couple lasers from O-Like. Now, I'm hoping to get something a little more unique.

I'm interested in using this Sonic Screwdriver replica as a host for a 445nm laser that is at least 400mw. Duty cycle isn't a big issue for me, as long as it won't fry from 20 seconds constant use with a long cool-off period. The replica is 7" long and 3/4" wide (extends to 8 3/8" long) and the "extendy-bit" that contains the batteries (3xA76/AG13/LR44 button cells, which hopefully could be swapped out) is 5" long and 9/16" wide for most of its length. I was hoping to add a bright LED to the tip allowing it to work like a blue flashlight OR a laser at the flip of a switch (That way I can justify carrying it! :crackup: )

How doable would this project be? Would it be a major task to get the components to fit in such a small device, or would I be better off paying one of the excellent LPF pros to make it for me?

First off, I'm a new member, so hello! I've been lurking these forums for a while now, and bought a couple lasers from O-Like. Now, I'm hoping to get something a little more unique.

I'm interested in using this Sonic Screwdriver replica as a host for a 445nm laser that is at least 400mw. Duty cycle isn't a big issue for me, as long as it won't fry from 20 seconds constant use with a long cool-off period. The replica is 7" long and 3/4" wide (extends to 8 3/8" long) and the "extendy-bit" that contains the batteries (3xA76/AG13/LR44 button cells, which hopefully could be swapped out) is 5" long and 9/16" wide for most of its length. I was hoping to add a bright LED to the tip allowing it to work like a blue flashlight OR a laser at the flip of a switch (That way I can justify carrying it! :crackup: )

How doable would this project be? Would it be a major task to get the components to fit in such a small device, or would I be better off paying one of the excellent LPF pros to make it for me?

First....

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If your are planning to buy anything on the
Forum.... PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

Enjoy your stay...

Second....

What material is that "sonic screwdriver" made of....

You will need some heat sinking even at 400mW or
a very short "ON" time duty cycle.

There is no way you will be able to run a 445nm LD
with those batteries.

You would need to find the space to install larger
capacity batteries and a Laser Diode Driver..

Jerry

benmwv

Do you already have it, and is it made of metal?

If so I recommend you send jayrob a pm and he will probably be willing to make it into a very nice laser host for you. He won't actually create a working laser but he will make it so all you have to do is install the diode of your choice.

You may be interested in his star trek laser phaser build kit:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/tutorial-12x-star-trek-phaser-mod-46886.html

I'm pretty sure it's made of plastic and that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside. :) <- For Jerry. (If you don't get it go watch Dr. Who for a bit)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's made of plastic and that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

:thinking::thinking:

That statement could perhaps use a smilie...:whistle:

Jerry

Last edited:
It's made of ABS I believe, but I was thinking I could hollow out the "head" entirely and devote the space to heat-sinking, which would require a custom-machined heat-sink.

For the batteries I was thinking that one or two 10440 3.7V batteries would do the trick. Terrible capacity, but with two of those and a decent heat-sink I could probably push the output up around 1W, right?

The ABS plastic would act as an insulator to a heatsink
mounted on the inside...

It could still be doable but with a low "ON" time duty
cycle.

As was mentioned by benmwv... see what member
jayrob can do for you...

Jerry

Last edited:
I has been done already with the sonci screwdriver but I don't remember who.

Instead of the ABS plastic they used the one from this site:

The Celestial Toystore, Exclusive Prop Replicas

Their host was in the $300-400 range.

Found it!

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/my-first-custom-sonic-laser-screw-driver-build-64384.html

Ask him.

Realistically, he probably spent about $500 total on that. So, you might want to consider that.

Yeah, that's a bit rich for my blood, I was hoping to get away with spending about half that for the plastic one.