Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Interest Guage - 660nm 180mw pointers

Y

yew.sir-name

After much deliberation and a week or so of emails i've decided to do a 'feeler' on the spymodex style lasers myself. I've never done one before but here it goes.

(taken directly from my emails)

specs

1. Wavelength[ch65306]660nm +/-5 nm

2. Output Power[ch65306][ch65308]200mW  

3. PCB[ch65306]ACC  (Automatic Current Control)

4.    Focus[ch65306]Glass Lens  Focus Adjustable

5.    Operation Voltage[ch65306]6.0VDC +/-0.5V  

6.    Operation Current[ch65306][ch65308]350mA

7.    Operation Temperature[ch65306]-10~+35

Answers to a couple of questions i asked

Let me answer your questins as below:

1.What equipment do you use to test the output of your lasers?

Power testing instrument

2.Output power > <200mw?

The actually output power is 180mW

3.What type of diode do you use to power the laser?.Power of the diode used?

We use the 660nm.200mW

4.Do the lasers come with  guarantee?
  The laser pointer  with one year  guarantee

5.Run cycle. eg: 80 seconds on 10 seconds off? Continual use?

Continual use until the battery is uesd up.

A few followup questions

About question 1.

1.What equipment do you use to test the output of your lasers?

Power testing instrument
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What brand of testing eqiupment do you use? Coherent? Thorlabs?

Coherent
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About question 3

3.What type of diode do you use to power the laser?.Power of the diode used?

We use the 660nm.200mW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Constant wave or pulse?

Constant wave
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can the lasers use rechargeable batteries?

We uaually use the CR123A Battery,when it is used up ,it should  be changed.
For the  rechargeable batteries,  it is only DC 6V,also can use.

End

I don't own a power meter so it's as risky as buying off ebay

Minimum order is 10 pointers and prices would be around £65 uk and £70 world wide

Anyone have any thoughts or questions?

Anything else i should ask these people?

edit: updated with pics sent from manufacturer

Attachments

• laser.JPG
    laser.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 105

Y

yew.sir-name

google calc 70 British pounds = 141.09200 U.S. dollars

RobTheVIP said:
So that's about $95-$100, pretty good.  Can we see a picture please ?

Rob with current exchange rate thats about $130 to $140

Merl said:
[quote author=RobTheVIP link=1188400413/0#1 date=1188400894]So that's about $95-$100, pretty good. Can we see a picture please ?

Rob with current exchange rate thats about $130 to $140 [/quote]

I was just in Europe, I was stuck on the Euro heh.

Yew I dont know if you will be using the same supplier as SenKat but considering the problems he has had with underspec units it would be wise to have a power meter, but like you said its the same risk off ebay just these will be alot cheaper.

Sounds like you're in the UK so if you need any help with checking the output let me know.

P.S. We are having a UK Laser Meet at the end of september if you are interested.

Y

yew.sir-name

Thanks for the offer Merl. i'm unsure about what to do over testing the lasers. maybe i could hire one, would be cheaper than shipping them for testing, or i could enquire at a university mayhaps, or just sell them unopend/untested and as is. Just like ebay, but with the manufacturers guarantee. If it happens i expect to get a box of undamaged lasers (i'm gonna ask for bubblewrap an peanuts an all kinda things to make sure they're safe) and send them out the day after i recieve them. But from what i've read these things hardly ever go to plan.

I've been reading about the meet. seems like it would be a great party. i've no lasers over 100mw appart from the one coming from senkats groupbuy, but all my greens impress me, even the 10mw i got for $10 because they shipped me the wrong laser has me making light saber noises. I'm unsure about funds and what my wife will say about it though. women *shakes head*

S

SenKat

Yew - make sure to get a cement quote in regards to shipping costs - most distributors will not allow a third party to return the laser for RMA purposes, and require that since you are the propieter, you are the responsible party for returns...be cautious, get everything ironed out prior to comitting one pence ! <------{Hey Merl ! I TOLD you I could be taught ! LOL!!!}

G !

Well Greg thats because you had a great teacher (;

Yew well depending where you are in the country I could always come and visit, its what I am doing with Tallaxo this weekend coming and also thats how this meet came about. We are all staying at Tallaxo's house free of charge (What a great guy) or if you want to come for just the day then thats cool too.

You are more than welcome to come to the meet, a Laser is a Laser and even my 5mw core impresses me still... I just love the shiney lights ;D

Y

yew.sir-name

Nice one senkat, i didn't think of that. I just sent them an email about third party returns.

Merl i'll keep an open mind about the meet, it should be a blast, somany lasers and not enough hands to use them with.

Merl,
I've not seen many post from you.
But I'm jealous because U glorify "Marvin Martian"(spelling?)

Marvin Martian said,
"You earthlings are ruled by selfish people so I'm here to (save)zap you!"

He's my Favorite cartoon hero!

Cheers,
DGM [smiley=beer.gif]

Laserrod said:
Merl,
I've not seen many post from you.
But I'm jealous because U glorify "Marvin Martian"(spelling?)

Marvin Martian said,
"You earthlings are ruled by selfish people so I'm here to (save)zap you!"

He's my Favorite cartoon hero!

Cheers,
DGM [smiley=beer.gif]

Cheers DGM

He is one of mine and quite a few other's, he has quite the cult following........

Martin

Y

yew.sir-name

I can't update my first post with the new picture so i guess i'll have to post it here.

Attachments

• laser_002.JPG
    laser_002.JPG
    11 KB · Views: 71
Y

yew.sir-name

i've not been online for a while as my computer is in the shop. i'm writing this now on my psp. i know there is not much interest in these pointers (didn't expect it to really, you can make your own for next to nothing) but the offer is still open. atleast untill i get back online properly.

Y

yew.sir-name

I'm back online sooner than expected, WOO! but i think i'm selling a dead horse. Two weeks is enough time for a feeler, and there is not enough interest so i'll call it a day on this one.