Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

installing diode into aixiz housing

Im trying to put my 803t blu ray diode into an aixiz housing, and it seems to be an extremely tight fit. I'm not sure how to go about getting it in there. What do you guys usually use?

its needs to be pressed in. A bench vise works the best, but you can do it woth a pair of pliers too.

Like this:

fit_diode1.jpg

I'm not sure who made the picture... But it wasn't me. So.... I'd like to give credit where credit is due but I cant remember who made it :-[

I'm not sure who made the picture... But it wasn't me
That would be me then...... ;)

On these real tight LD's you may want to replace the rear end of the Aixiz with a piece of tube when pressing it in.

I now use a brake cable adjustor from a bicycle since I distorted a module back end and made it unusable. (before using the cable adjustor file the end flat where the thread runs out so that it puts even pressure on the LD).

Regards rog8811

Attachments

• fit_diode01_001.jpg
    fit_diode01_001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,120
You can also get these small things from the hardware store called "cable stops". They are basically thick washers, made out of one piece, but they work amazingly!!! I think the size I use is 3/32" and its perfect.

Thanks go to Kenom for this idea.

I just used a big old pair of pliers. I pressed it in with a little force on one side, rotated the thing, pressed the diode down on the other side a little, repeat, repeat, repeat until it's flush with the housing. Don't crush the pins or the lens. That should go without saying, but you never know. I removed the lens and spring before doing this. The spring went bounding across the kitchen floor never to be found again. The housing works fine without it anyways.

Refer to my precise schematic:

27y1gkx.jpg

apex007 said:
I just used a big old pair of pliers. I pressed it in with a little force on one side, rotated the thing, pressed the diode down on the other side a little, repeat, repeat, repeat until it's flush with the housing. Don't crush the pins or the lens. That should go without saying, but you never know. I removed the lens and spring before doing this. The spring went bounding across the kitchen floor never to be found again. The housing works fine without it anyways.

Refer to my precise schematic:

27y1gkx.jpg

Don't you just hate talented artists and the way they flaunt their talent.... :)

Mule

Lol, thanks guys. I've tried apex's way before, and I thought it was a little too wreckless and possible harmful. Oh lord, I need to see if I still even have the bottom half to the housing. I sure hope I do, because I don't have any of the other tubes etc that were listed.

Crap. I just dropped this diode for the second time. What are the odds of it still being alive?

The pliers idea tends to chew up the end of the module where the lens threads in:(, not to mention the back of the diode.. I just invested in a small vise for mine.. I don't want to sell lasers with chewed up modules and diodes.

The spring went bounding across the kitchen floor never to be found again.
:) If I ever do a proper clean of my workshop floor I could probably open a spring shop... We all know the springs are in there, doesn't stop them boinging though.

Regards rog8811

360freak said:
Lol, thanks guys. I've tried apex's way before, and I thought it was a little too wreckless and possible harmful. Oh lord, I need to see if I still even have the bottom half to the housing. I sure hope I do, because I don't have any of the other tubes etc that were listed.

Crap. I just dropped this diode for the second time. What are the odds of it still being alive?

I dropped my red diode on the concrete twice as well a few more times once it was in the module. It even survived being smashed out of the housing because i was too impatient to wait for my other module for my blu ray. When my other module came i put the red in it and it fell out of the module onto the concrete yet again. Then i was having a bad day with soldering and held the iron on it for like 20 seconds till it was red hot. Installed the red back into the flashlight (without the lens) and turned it on and nothing. I looked at the diode and could see a faint glowing wire so i thought i killed it but all of the sudden a freaking blinding light blasted into my eyes because i tightened the head of the flashlight. ;D This red diode has taken a SEVERE beating but its still alive. SenKat your diodes rock! Unfortunately from what i've heard, the windows in these blu ray diodes seem to get knocked out of place very easily. Your diode will probably still work though. Laser Diodes (at least in my experience) are very durable when it comes to vibrations and knocks but extremely sensitive to spikes and static.

i tend to use the pliars way too but i use a gut up back part of an aizix module and i put a washer at the the front to protect the front of the casing. i find this works great with no damage to the diode or aixiz module.

Thanks,
Mitch

rubberband said:
i tend to use the pliars way too but i use a gut up back part of an aizix module and i put a washer at the the front to protect the front of the casing. i find this works great with no damage to the diode or aixiz module.

Thanks,
Mitch

Definitely a good idea. My housing is a little dinged up but it's hidden under the plastic cap I made:

20qyz3n.jpg