Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Insignia blu ray player just died.....

So I've been wanted to order a 405nm diode for a while now... But too impatient with shipping to pull the trigger.... Well.. My blu ray player just died... So I think I solved that problem... Anyone know what might be in it as far as diode specs? I'm guessing 10-20mw but what are average threshold currents for blu ray player diode and Vf's. any idea? Thanks.

kilter

I'm not expert on diodes, but i'm pretty sure that bluray players have diodes 100mw-200mw! Again, I am proboly wrong, but from my memory that's the specs.
edit: 12x blueray player 600-700mw!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ77l23xwak description

Last edited:
So I've been wanted to order a 405nm diode for a while now... But too impatient with shipping to pull the trigger.... Well.. My blu ray player just died... So I think I solved that problem... Anyone know what might be in it as far as diode specs? I'm guessing 10-20mw but what are average threshold currents for blu ray player diode and Vf's. any idea? Thanks.

I've been thinking about a 405 too but don't have money to build another laser just yet. I don't know what that player has in it but I know there are 20mw 405's and the company that makes our favorite 9mm 445 also makes a 120mw 405 but I don't know if that's whats in your player. Those 120mw 405's need 5v and max 150ma. If you want something powerful that will burn stuff then order one of these from DTR: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/s06j-12x-405-diodes and get 500-700mw. You don't have to worry about shipping time with him, he ships same day usually, you will likely get it within 3 days.

Alan

I've been thinking about a 405 too but don't have money to build another laser just yet. I don't know what that player has in it but I know there are 20mw 405's and the company that makes our favorite 9mm 445 also makes a 120mw 405 but I don't know if that's whats in your player. Those 120mw 405's need 5v and max 150ma. If you want something powerful that will burn stuff then order one of these from DTR: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/s06j-12x-405-diodes and get 500-700mw. You don't have to worry about shipping time with him, he ships same day usually, you will likely get it within 3 days.

Alan

Well that's good cause I already destroyed this diode somehow... Extracted the sled and tested it while in the sled, but after popping it out it didn't seem to work anymore :-/

A 5v output with a 150 ohm resistor, the setup I used to push about 30ma through a cheap 632nm diode. It lit up when in the sled (barely) but I think the mechanical force of popping the diode out messed it up. :-/ bunch of cool pics. I'll have to find some time to upload.

Player -
1zpp7dd.jpg

nfl9vo.jpg

Sled -
aepglf.jpg

Sled Removed -
2zrp3cp.jpg

Backing plate
2q3yn2r.jpg

plate removed exposing inner cavities

263gal1.jpg

a1lgyp.jpg