Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

info and advice for first build

I was looking at a few lasers 405nw 300mw and prices varie for the same rating on hand held laser's what would be the difference.
How do you figure out how much power you need in a laser
Some discriptions of laser's have the word burning do not all lasers burn in the right situation
How do I figure out what type of driver I need
What do I put the diode in to adjust the beam
Thanks
Guys

-Generally more than 100mw is needed to burn, but some people report succes with 50mw, you will need to focus the laser beam so the object is placed in the thinnest part of the beam, so all the laser power is focused onto a tiny point (bit like sharp knife vs blunt knife)
-Depends on your own personal preference, a boost driver is used so that one lithium battery is needed, normal linear drivers require 2 lithium batteries, but are generally cheaper
-You put the diode in a aixiz module and use a lens to focus

Prices will be all over the place for the same things. You can find 250mw green lasers for $35.
Only problem is once you get it you will be lucky if its 50mw.
Several reliable sellers are mentioned around here if you look.

If Im using a 405 laser to burn white paper would glass between the laser and paper have any affect on the results. Also would the laser have the same affect 8 inches away as well as 50 feet away
Thanks