Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

infared filter fell off

Hello
I have a few CrystaLaser 532nm lasers and i have found on a few that the bond has failed on the IR filter causing a badly scattered beam. I have no clue on how to reattach the filter. I am thinking it's an epoxy or some other glue, it needs to be able to withstand a few hundred milliwatts. Does any one have an idea what may work? The filter seems to be made out of glass, and sadly i lost one filter and am wondering where i can get a replacement filter. CrystaLaser seems to be useless on proving any kind of replacement parts

Use binary epoxy, those are vapourless IIRC. It's very important it doesn't give off any fumes, like cyanoacrylate, those will cause "frost" on your optics, ruining them permanently.

No glue needs to withstand any milliwatts. Simply glue it at the edges.

Hello
I have a few CrystaLaser 532nm lasers and i have found on a few that the bond has failed on the IR filter causing a badly scattered beam. I have no clue on how to reattach the filter. I am thinking it's an epoxy or some other glue, it needs to be able to withstand a few hundred milliwatts. Does any one have an idea what may work? The filter seems to be made out of glass, and sadly i lost one filter and am wondering where i can get a replacement filter. CrystaLaser seems to be useless on proving any kind of replacement parts

Have you searched the web? Which would be a faster way of finding what you need instead of waiting for a reply.

Use binary epoxy, those are vapourless IIRC. It's very important it doesn't give off any fumes, like cyanoacrylate, those will cause "frost" on your optics, ruining them permanently.

No glue needs to withstand any milliwatts. Simply glue it at the edges.

Thank you, i will give that a try, it was originally glued all the way to create one optical unit, i.e if you glue 2 prisms into one unit you don't have that air gap that gives another surface for the light to create another reflection from.
So basically any clear epoxy should work, i just need to find one that does not make air bubbles.
I have tried goggle but maybe i should try another time

another thought too is an epoxy that will not yellow over time, not sure if the epoxy that can be bought at normal stores will do this or not, the pump diode in my laser is 500mw and noticed it can generate heat on something that is not clear

I would avoid attempting to optically bond it to glass if you can. If you do want to try your hand, there is some optical adhesive that is fairly easy to come by in small quantities at a well-known flashlight forum. You may be able to find it by searching for Norland Optical Adhesive 61.

You may wish to look for a datasheet first, to see its transparency in the wavelengths you will be sending through it (depending on how you mount your filter, you may be sending IR through the glue too).

But yeah, I'd say just tack it over an aperture, using epoxy at the edges. That way, you don't even have to worry about how clear your epoxy (adhesive cement, what have you) is to your laser.