Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Inexpensive multimeter that reads up to 500ma?

Hi all,

I have a multimeter, but it only reads DC current up to 200ma. Not much of a help with my new build where I'm hoping to run an LG open can at ~400ma.

Can someone recommend a meter that will read up to 500ma, but not cost too much (hoping for less than $50)?

Thank you! :)

Thanks Mike :cool:

Edit: They have one analog meter that goes up to 500ma, but the reviews say it's not too precise. Of course, for $3.99 and free shipping, I'd be surprised if it did anything at all!

Benm

Most really cheap digital multimeters also have a 10/20A range with a seperate contact for the positive lead. I recommend using those since the internal resistance is nearly zero when using that contact, so it doesnt screw with your circuit.

Resolution in the 20A range usually is 10 mA - not very precise but good enough for most purposes.

i bought a multimeter at radioshack the other day for $35 it reads up to 400ma on one input and up to 10A at the other. they also offer a higher ma one for a little bit more money. it is deffenatly money well spent i think.

THanks,
Mitch

I have this one from DX, it's pretty accurate as far as I know (when testing DDL circuit it gives me near exact current as calculated from resistor values)

rubberband said:
i bought a multimeter at radioshack the other day for $35 it reads up to 400ma on one input and up to 10A at the other. they also offer a higher ma one for a little bit more money. it is deffenatly money well spent i think.

THanks,
Mitch

Thanks Mitch, I just bought the same one today, it's perfect for what I need! :)

I just got the same one Mitch. You know what they say, brilliant minds think alike ;Dphoenix77/rob :cool: