Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Indigo Laser?

I was wondering if there would ever be indigo lasers, which falls between blue and violet on the visible light spectrum. I know it would probably look similar to blue and blu-ray lasers, but it would be kinda cool nonetheless.

Abray

I was about to say 488nm ArIon, but then I realized that's between blue and green!

I think like MarioMaster said, there might be an argon line. 450 something sounds familiar, but I'm not sure.

There are. 445nm diodes is what you'll need.

But ideally 430nm, which I haven't heard of.

Any number between 400 and somewhere above 473 is currently possible with diodes lasers. Diodes lasers aren't confined to those specific wavelengths like DPSS are, and can be made at any wavelength ina certain range, theoretically, but at extremely high costs. You'd basically be asking Nichia or a lab somewhere to do tons of testing and experimenting jsut to do a one-off diode for you, but it's possible. That range is currently from somewhere below 405nm to somewhere above 473. I know companies have offered engineering samples at 473 or thereabouts, and they're certainly able to make higher than that. But, since all the companies are trying to get up into the green wavelengths, they seem to try to keep some competitive edge by not revealing exactly how high of a wavelength they can get to with their diodes.

So yes, any purple to indigo to blue color is currently possible with diode lasers, but only true blue and true green really have much of a chance at ever being mass produced, so those would be the only ones hobbyists would probably ever get in addition to the violet already available.

There is also ECDL-SHG lasers too like the Coherent D3 that make arround 435nm at about 10mw. Oh, if you want one, better start saving... it will only cost you about $30K :-[

Argons have a 457 line. Pretty cool looking but really more of a deep blue. I really want to get one of those 500mW 445nm diodes from nichia. Now thats badass. And really not too bad, at around $2500, considering the amount of power you would have  :cool:

457 is nice a blue, but not a deep blue like indigo. More of a bright electric blue or something. One problem with the colors though is that with high powers things tend to look lighter. The 457s I have seen look different depending on power. The argon 457 looks deep blue to me where as the DPSS I have seen looks much lighter since it was 300mW. I have also seen 445 at 300mW and I couln't distinguish it from 405 very well, It just looked brighter. On a non flourescent surface next to each other I am sure the difference would be much eaiser to see though.