Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

impossible black laser?..

from this im not sure if its just with paint... but maybe with light too?

blacklaser.png

That's just with paint. Black means it's absorbing all light, so there is no light entering you eye. No light entering you eye from that location makes the brain "see" black. Laser light is, well, light, while the color black is an absence of light. See where I'm going with this?

See the wikipedia article on color theory, among other reading.

"The most important problem has been a confusion between the behavior of light mixtures, called additive color, and the behavior of paint or ink or dye or pigment mixtures, called subtractive color. This problem arises because the absorption of light by material substances follows different rules from the perception of light by the eye."

Paint is subtractive mixing: mixing colors by adding dye works by removing colors from the light spectrum you see. Light itself, like with laser light, is additive mixing: mixing colors works by adding colors to the light coming into you eye.

The sum of all dyes/paints is all light being removed, and the color black. The sum of all light is all light present, and the color white.

ooo... i was tempted to try it some time... thanks for answering so i wouldnt waste my time

AdamR

That image looks like the subtractive CYMK colour system that printers use, and all other materials, as explained by pullbangdead.

If you had started with a black background and used RGB you'd easily see it's not possible.

A black laser is no more attainable than a black light.

Light adheres to the former illustration (a) while pigments adhere to the latter illustration (b):

05.jpg

Switch

AdamR said:
That image looks like the subtractive CYMK colour system that printers use, and all other materials, as explained by pullbangdead.

If you had started with a black background and used RGB you'd easily see it's not possible.

Or just think how on earth would shining lots of light in one point give you darkness ::) It's pretty duh....

Switch

That's hilarious ;D But what's even funnier is their article on light :D (also their article on "wikipedia" and "getting laid" are pretty funny too ::))

AdamR

Switch said:
[quote author=AdamR link=1234318297/0#4 date=1234354258]That image looks like the subtractive CYMK colour system that printers use, and all other materials, as explained by pullbangdead.

Or just think how on earth would shining lots of light in one point give you darkness ::) It's pretty duh....[/quote]
haha yeah :D Reminds me of that episode of american dad where Stan thinks of the idea "DARK BULBS!! You know, for when it's too bright out."

I have a black laser I will sell you.

Man this thread is old. (and not overly bright either)

Last edited:
I know, I just searched it and figured I'd comment here rather than opening a new not-too-bright thread. :)

I have done the same thing on many a forum.

It's really late, no ones talking, and boredom sets in, so we start trolling past threads looking for something to do.

This one forum I belong to closes threads after x-days of inactivity. I search and troll, sometimes look at who's online, and see what they are reading, and all the older threads have been closed by admin.