Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Important note about Laser diodes

S

SenKat

When you purchase a laser diode from me in a group buy - or if you harvest it yourself, or buy from any other source - you are taking your risks. There is no warranty expressed, or implied on these diodes - and definitely do NOT email me or PM me in a threatening tone, demanding a replacement because you screwed up. A PRIME example of a demanding type note is this, that was just received via PM :

I think the laser you sent me was DOA

Everything was good, I hooked everything up, grounded myself, touched a complete circuit, soldered it on with a pin attached to it so it wouldnt get hot, and i plugged it on, turned it on, and nothing happend.

I want a new one.

Now, this ote was sent by someone who refused to listen to most advice, or just plain did not "Get it"...a total lack of comprehension by this individual led to him ruining his laser diode, not defective materials.

Take special note here, people - you do NOT even attempt to be rude via PM's to me when I am only here attempting to help folks out - that is just really bad form in my opinion, and I am certain you will find that the vast majority of people on here agree with that. Demand things of yourself, not me. If you pay for diodes, you get diodes - you do not get hand-holding, special treatment, or refunds due to your lack of knowledge on how to hook these things up properly. The individual quoted above asked a bajillion questions, made erroneous assumptions, and did not take care to do it the right way. Lesson learned - either order another one, and try again, or drop the attempted hobby, because it is not for you - and you will not last long on here with an attitude like that, anyways.

I think this is probably about as clear as I can be about this - I do not rip people off, I am selling VERY sensitive items, that you must treat VERY carefully, and follow a set of rules in order to be successful at making a laser. If there are ANY questions - please feel free to post them in this thread - I would love to see where I was not CRYSTAL clear. Thanks for reading this long vent - and sorry ALL of you that read this have to put up with me being snotty, or whatever - but things like this obviously need to be discussed with the members that refuse to listen. Maybe since it is in the open - some lesson may be learned from it.

Greg

Daedal

Greg... I agree with you wholeheartedly. Not only are we getting them at ridiculously low prices, we are also getting the ability to order singles at the same price! :eek:

This is the case with ANY laser diode purchase. The percentage of DOA lasers is slim to none. Manufacturers NEVER give a warranty or any kind of guarantee... and you have to buy them at 10X the price! :-/

Therefore, G, you are doing us all a favor, and we all highly respect and appreciate that... :)

--DDL

I've received 13 of these GB diodes from SenKat. I've connected 5 of them and 1 still works :'(

I pushed the other 4 well beyond recommended limits -- That's my problem - I guess I love making LED's ::)

I haven't found a bad one yet.

Mike

SenKat,

I VOUCH for U.

U are not taking a profit that affords good faith refunds on someones word that the L Diode
is DOA.

Get real, all complainers! You should have bought spares!!!
BECAUSE you got a GREAT deal, at the cost you paid!
BECAUSE:
Just try to buy Laser Diodes yourself. EXPENSIVE!
I have been LD shopping and unless I learn Chinese, I don't think I can get these LD cheaper. I am being Totaly HONEST!!

Just buy more, it will all be worth it, SENKAT's LASERS ARE SO CHEAP !

Solder a small cap. across the laser in 2 sec. then solder the power wires to it. Don't use alligator clips!!
Static, IRON HEAT, and too much current, inductive surges, was cause for your DOA %1000 of the time.

We have all make mistakes, had a bad day. :'(

BE HAPPY, LASERS ARE HOT :cool:

Benm

I agree with the statements above - if one of these diodes seem dead when hooking it up to a rather crude circuit (or plain batteries), it's more likely it got killed doing so than it that is was defective in the first place.

On the other hand, it's possible that one or two of the diodes in a batch of 100 are actually DOA, and that you would send those on unknowingly... but this is a risk you take ordering such components from any source, and hopefully very rare.

With electronic components it's very common not to give guarantee to their function, mainly because its always hard to dermine if something came dead out of the factory or was damaged to user error.

I pushed the other 4 well beyond recommended limits -- That's my problem - I guess I love making LED's

What is the lowest current at wich you blew one up? You seem to know what you are doing very well, but there is obviously a limit to what they can take even with proper circuitry and without mishaps.. just wondering what that is.

Senkat's diodes are great. If you have any problems or think your diode is not functioning properly, ask for help POLITELY.

More likely than not you are not running it properly or have destroyed it accidently.

I thought mine had a beam problem initially but apparently I was running it barely at the lasing threshold(well start low but not that low) and Greg responded quickly to explain what was happening.

Now my diode is running fine and burning great.

There is no way Greg can know if you destroyed your diode accidentally or carelessly so it is not possible for him to offer replacements for every diode which may seem DOA. It is a risk you have to take.

We all trust his integrity otherwise we wouldn't even be purchasing from him. This is also another risk we are taking.

That said, I think you could do a little better on the packing though it might cost you slightly.
I am not sure if wrapping it in aluminum foil is safe enough ESD-wise(i guess it shorts the diode) but it is sure hard to unwrap and peel back the random folds while making sure that you do not accidently zap it. Imagine if only 1 pin was in contact with the foil and you release all your static voltage into it before plonking it on your esd safe work area. I can imagine people with no esd precautions already zapping their diodes whilst trying to remove it from the foil packaging!

I think wrapping with anti static sheet is minimum with regards to safe handling. Other diode I have received came wrapped with that and taped so I know it wasn't already destroyed by poor handling. Just so people will realize that once they remove it from the anti static wrap, any problems is on their side. They also won't have any excuses to use against you.

I dig the plastic container though, cool little box which I now use to hold diodes after lining it with anti-static foil.

Bottomline: If you do not want to take this no warranty risk, do not purchase. If it is really really DOA, take the hit. We all trust Greg and his integrity on selling these diodes.

yea i get what you meen senkat these people ask daedal and they dont list in his diy laser diode driver post people tell them and there to damn lazy to listen

Benm

That said, I think you could do a little better on the packing though it might cost you slightly.

I think an ideal material is anti-static foam, the kind where you stick senstive IC's and such in pins-down. It's very light and inexpesive (a few $ for a A4 sized piece at most).

Tinfoil works fine for static electricity, but can be a bit messy when unpacking and also provides no mechanical stability to the pins at all... though the little plastic cube seems to work fine in the mail on its own.

kdubbz

I ordered 2 and im down to 1, I was real careful on my 2nd one and it should last a lot longer then my first diode. They both worked perfectly and the first on burnt out because the positive pin grounded to the case, I should of double checked that. anyways If I want more I will definitely come back. Thanks SenKat!

S

SenKat

Thanks, all - FWIW, the "offending" party DID finally apologize, but I will leave this here as a reminder to those that may feel the need to act like him.

Gador

Hey, I really LOVE that plastic cube :p

When Daedal finishes off his new 3v circuit I'll check out the diode, but I don't think it will have any flaw.

Thanks for everything Senkat.

Things

people seem to be recieving their diodes now? why isn't mine here :-/ :-/ LOL maybe because it's the weekend :D hopefully sometime this week i can finally start working on it! just makes me sad how people can be like that after all you have done for them! nice to know you got an apology!

things said:
people seem to be recieving their diodes now? why isn't mine here :-/ :-/ LOL maybe because it's the weekend :D hopefully sometime this week i can finally start working on it! just makes me sad how people can be like that after all you have done for them! nice to know you got an apology!

Actually, I'm your UPS guy and I took your diodes, muahahahah ;D :mad: :cool:

Things

oh really? which street do i live in then? ;D ;D ;D ;D and i only ordered 1 diode muahaha ;D

things said:
oh really? which street do i live in then? ;D ;D ;D ;D and i only ordered 1 diode muahaha ;D

Greg must have accidentally sent you two hahahaha.

Gazoo

things said:
people seem to be recieving their diodes now? why isn't mine here

Maybe the pelican stopped to eat some birds on the way... ;D