Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Important: Laser importation to be banned in Aus.

Well,
it's happened.

They're going forward with the ban.

Laser pointers restricted after attacks

April 6, 2008 - 5:08PM

The importation of laser pointers, which have been used in recent attacks on airliners, will be restricted, the federal government has announced.

"The government will introduce a new regime to restrict certain laser items, which could operate in the same way as the existing controls on firearms and weapons," Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus said in a statement after a recent high-level meeting.

"Recent attacks on pilots have highlighted the seriousness of the problem. It's destructive, dangerous behaviour which needs a coordinated response across Australia."

The crackdown follows a series of alarming incidents in recent weeks where lasers with the potential to flash-blind a pilot have targeted the cockpits of aircraft on final approach - over heavily populated areas - to Sydney's Kingsford Smith airport.

In one coordinated attack, a number of lasers were directed at an airliner, forcing the pilot to change his landing approach.

Opposition leader Brendan Nelson has backed the decision as a "move in the right direction".

"This emerging trend of people using lasers, particularly in an attempt to blind the pilots of aircraft and other things which are extremely important, is not only potentially damaging for those individuals that are being targeted by the lasers, but it could lead to a catastrophe," Dr Nelson told reporters in Sydney.

"Whilst we wouldn't normally want to rush in and see things being banned left right and centre, if that's the only way to deal with this increasing menace, then so be it."

Mr Debus said the commonwealth would work with the states and territories as well as with government and industry experts to identify which classes of laser pointers should be banned.

He said a five-point plan had been agreed to restrict the sale and importation of some laser pointers through uniform national laws, to provide training for pilots on risk avoidance and to develop an education campaign.

Mr Debus said the plan was developed after a Customs report recommended bans.

He said that since there were obviously legitimate uses for lasers by surveyors, astronomers and the mining and construction industries, there would have to be exemptions, as with other prohibited goods.

"Customs has also advised that border control is less effective unless the states and territories have the same laws regarding possession of lasers," he said.

"I am hoping we can get national cooperation on this - hundreds of aircraft across Australia are targeted every year and we need to work together to reduce the number of incidents."

Mr Debus said that with a huge number of laser pointers already out in the community, an education campaign was a crucial part of the plan.

"This sort of reckless, dangerous behaviour could have dire consequences," he said.

-----

http://news.smh.com.au/laser-pointers-restricted-after-attacks/20080406-240f.html
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/ban-to-stop-laser-attacks/2008/04/05/1207249536609.html

Also, the video of the stupid news reports can be found here, http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&brand=ninemsn&tab=m164

So now they've created a black market and laser pointers will flood into Australia and "entrepreneurs" will begin selling them at an inflated price.

Smart.

I'm gonna stock up now.

Re: It's happened, laser importation to be banned.

i feel for you man

luke_j

so since the police cant do their job they ban lasers maybe the goverment should focus on a competent police force

Well its been the same way in the US for a while now, and we still have no problem importing them. Theres no way that customs officials will be able to open every singe package that comes in. I wouldn't worry too much about it, even though it does give our hobby a really bad rep.

luke_j said:
so since the police cant do their job they ban lasers maybe the goverment should focus on a competent police force

Honestly it took a few dozen idiots across Australia to f**k s**t up for thousands of laser hobbyists in the country.

And the police aren't really to blame,
imagine how hard it is to find your own keys that you left somewhere in the house and imagine that Area x 1000 :p

GooeyGus said:
Well its been the same way in the US for a while now, and we still have no problem importing them. Theres no way that customs officials will be able to open every singe package that comes in. I wouldn't worry too much about it, even though it does give our hobby a really bad rep.

True but now bulk buying is out of the question.

Also, you buy a $300 dollar laser and you run the risk of the government literally ripping the money out of your hand.

Frustrating.

Razako

Re: Important: Laser importation to be banned in A

lol what a waste of time and money. Most of the lasers I buy on dx are already restricted by customs and I haven't lost a single one of them. All this means is that you can expect your lasers to come labeled as light pens on novelty flashlights ::)

Why dont they just give the pilots some laser goggles... i know they have them where the visibility is almost that of clear glass, ie almost perfect visibility.

....lazer... ;D ;D ;D

I wonder if they'll ban only the pointers that don't have safety controls on them (like keys, emission light, etc. that are required in the US to be legal) or all portable battery powered lasers? At least in the US there are some pointers that are perfectly legal (not that illegal ones are often grabbed by customs, which is not often at all thankfully) to sell and import.

Hopefully at least Australian laser fans will still be able to buy the ones with proper safety controls on them like LaserGlow.

Schrecken_Licht said:
I wonder if they'll ban only the pointers that don't have safety controls on them (like keys, emission light, etc. that are required in the US to be legal) or all portable battery powered lasers? At least in the US there are some pointers that are perfectly legal (not that illegal ones are often grabbed by customs, which is not often at all thankfully) to sell and import.

Hopefully at least Australian laser fans will still be able to buy the ones with proper safety controls on them like LaserGlow.

Hopefully.

I have a feeling they'll ban everything bar <1mW's though unless you have a good reason.

What that reason could be, I don't know.

Razako

Dingers said:
[quote author=Schrecken_Licht link=1207475915/0#9 date=1207540603]I wonder if they'll ban only the pointers that don't have safety controls on them (like keys, emission light, etc. that are required in the US to be legal) or all portable battery powered lasers? At least in the US there are some pointers that are perfectly legal (not that illegal ones are often grabbed by customs, which is not often at all thankfully) to sell and import.

Hopefully.

I have a feeling they'll ban everything bar <1mW's though unless you have a good reason.

What that reason could be, I don't know.[/quote]
What about lab and entertainment lasers? You could always say that you need a 300mw laser for your nightclub or w/e.

This ban doesn't make much sense because there are plenty of legitimate uses for lasers. Also how do they plan on enforcing it? In the USA pointers >5mw without safety features are already banned but that doesn't stop a very large amount of them from making it through customs. I have bought over 10 lasers from dx and kaidomain without losing a single one to customs. How does AU plan on stopping the importation of lasers unless they check every single package coming in?

Even if they do manage to stop the importation with stricter customs it won't do anything about DIY lasers. Do they plan on banning 20x dvd burners and blu-ray burners because they could be used to harass airplanes? The latest attack was done with high powered red lasers which can be obtained from dvd burners with a bit of electronics knowledge.

Additionally there are already loads of lasers in AU and all this ban will do is discourage new laserists while doing nothing to remove the lasers from the people using them for dangerous and illegal activities. All this ban will do is create another black market item and people will be able to sell DIY lasers or imported lasers that made it through customs for a profit.

So what is the solution to this problem? Catch the idiots who are doing this and make an example out of them to discourage further offenders. Would you use lasers to harass airplanes if there was a good chance of being caught and serving a 10 year prison term?

I'm game to import anything. Customs themselves say they can't detect them with x-rays.
And the difference is here versus america: it's not just restricted import. They are talking about classifying lasers as dangerous illegal weapons. If you're caught with one, bam.
They also say though, exemptions for uses (including) astronomy. That sounds like a handy loophole.

Anyone concerned, sign the petition in the last line of my sig. Once i get a hundred or two signatures I'll forward it to the appropriate people.

Razako

BlueFusion said:
And the difference is here versus america: it's not just restricted import. They are talking about classifying lasers as dangerous illegal weapons. If you're caught with one, bam.
Well that is even more retarded. Way to make criminals out of thousands of innocent people who have a laser pointer ::)
Like everyone is just going to hand over their very expensive lasers to the government without some form of compensation ::)

Razako said:
[quote author=BlueFusion link=1207475915/0#12 date=1207552598]
Well that is even more retarded. Way to make criminals out of thousands of innocent people who have a laser pointer ::)
Like everyone is just going to hand over their very expensive lasers to the government without some form of compensation ::)[/quote]

Exactly. That's why it's so retarded. Anyway... my lasers are locked up in a Pelican case, the same sort the cops use for weapons in AU. So they know I'm serious about it, and they know I'm not stupid enough to laser planes.

now thats a case

see below for a pelican case

Attachments

• case.JPG
    case.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 125