Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm Doing Monthly Burns Tonight

daguin

What are you and your argon lasers doing?

Peace,
dave

First I need an argon......So You only do them monthly? What about your normal lasers?

daguin

First I need an argon......So You only do them monthly? What about your normal lasers?

Only gas lasers (and in our part of the hobby mostly argon lasers) requires these maintenance burns. If the laser sits for too long, some of the argon gas that was "driven" into the glass and metal (by heat and pressure) begins to re-escape. This causes the gas pressure to go up. If it gets too high, then the laser has trouble starting. So we burn them regularly to keep the gas embedded in the glass and metal.

Diode and DPSS lasers do NOT have this problem.

Peace,
dave

Don't forget some beam shots!(even if your camera skills suck) :p and thanks for that explanation. I knew they needed to be run often, but I didn't know why.

daguin

Don't forget some beam shots!(even if your camera skills suck) :p and thanks for that explanation. I knew they needed to be run often, but I didn't know why.

LOL! While my argons are burning away, this is what I am doing

IMG_0856.jpg

If everything works out, someone will get a multi-line argon laser for a very good price. If it doesn't work out, then I have some more hazardous waste to drop off at the collection site.

Peace,
dave

Hey Dave. Thanks for the reminder... As a reminder I've been keeping my "last run" on my argons in my signature. (Seems i'm about due, actually.)

What's crazy is, my 2214-VL sat in storage for *3 years* (I thought it was lost... long story) without being fired up... Started on the first click. Sometimes you get lucky.

To other Argon owners, "do not try that one at home." :)

Now, as far as that "working out" -- I'm still in the market for multiline. :) Been taking it slow and being choosy but... I'm definitely in the market still.

daguin

Hey Dave. Thanks for the reminder... As a reminder I've been keeping my "last run" on my argons in my signature. (Seems i'm about due, actually.)
What's crazy is, my 2214-VL sat in storage for *3 years* (I thought it was lost... long story) without being fired up... Started on the first click. Sometimes you get lucky.
To other Argon owners, "do not try that one at home." :)
Now, as far as that "working out" -- I'm still in the market for multiline. :) Been taking it slow and being choosy but... I'm definitely in the market still.

Yeah. Sometimes you get lucky. I had a new tube once that had sat for many years with only it's initial burn in done. It started first click as well.

Based on my initial assessment of how this one "worked out", I think that I am going to be able to make you a very happy man ;) I'll know by tomorrow morning some time.

The one I have in mind for you will also require a different PSU (like the last one we talked about), but you will be able to use your new one with your old JDSU cylinders as well. So you will end up with either an extra (for your green and your violet) or something that you can sell.

I've got to run this one for several hours to be able to evaluate it, before I make my decision.

Peace,
dave

Dude, can you crawl out of Dave's ass for just one day? You're like a freakin leech. Instead of spamming the forum with lame questions, why dont you try reading, like the rest of us do? Than you can have a valid opinion, and join in the discussion, instead of echoing what's being said like a parrot on Dave's shoulder. WTF man, give him a break.

daguin

Dave, how long do you run the argons for during these burns?
Cheers.

I run mine for at least 30 minutes a month. Usually they get more usage than that with just "playing" with them. However, right now I have 8 working argons here. Even I can't play that much :(

Some need more maintenance than others. The <100mW JDS Uniphase ones seem to need less. I can sometimes forget about these for quite some time without ill effects.

The Lasos,on the other hand, likes to be run every two weeks. If I wait too long, it will start (sometimes after some "blinking"), but I have to run it for awhile to be able to turn it up. Turn it up too fast and it will blink out.

Until you "know" the laser, I suggest you start out with a good 20-30 minutes a month (minimum). If you "play" with them more than that, you have no need of maintenance.

A necessary tool to have around with argons is a good oudin coil. If the pressure has risen too much while sitting around, you have to give them a bit of a "kick in the a$$" to get them lasing again

Peace,
dave

Dude, can you crawl out of Dave's ass for just one day? You're like a freakin leech. Instead of spamming the forum with lame questions, why dont you try reading, like the rest of us do? Than you can have a valid opinion, and join in the discussion, instead of echoing what's being said like a parrot on Dave's shoulder. WTF man, give him a break.

I didn't realize it was the gas lasers 'tab', I saw something about monthly burns. So I thought it might have been somebody taking all their lasers and just checking their mW output, how well they're running, etc. Cool your shit, seriously. You have some major problems if you feel the need to go arround yelling at some random kid. Get over yourself. And about me hovering over Dave, etc, etc, I truley have no idea what you're talking about, I rome the forums, I don't follow Dave all day. But good job trying to find something else wrong to say about me. Eventually you'll result to blatant lies rather than random insults. You seriously need to just calm down. I can find you a mental hospital nearby, but I'll need to know what state and city you live in. Maybe we can make this a cooperative thing, I'm here for ya ;)

Last edited:
Thats because you keep pissing me off. Read more, post less. I dont have anything personally against you, just that you're like most other n00bs here. You post more than you read. This is a science based forum, not a typical blab forum. We want you to contribute and be a part of the discussion, but its not going to happen till you find your own answers. People here do not have patience to keep spoon feeding every little question you have.

Thats because you keep pissing me off. Read more, post less. I dont have anything personally against you, just that you're like most other n00bs here. You post more than you read. This is a science based forum, not a typical blab forum. We want you to contribute and be a part of the discussion, but its not going to happen till you find your own answers. People here do not have patience to keep spoon feeding every little question you have.

Fair enough, I'll try to post less, but I just have a hard time JUST posting to help. I like to talk...