Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm convinced the world is ending

BennyF

Check this out. I found it today while fixing a customers audio amp. It's a 0 ohm resistor. How do you have a 0 ohm resistor wouldn't it just be a piece of wire?
IMG_3099.jpg

Trevor

They shape them like that so that the same machines that place "regular" resistors can also place the 0-ohm jumper "resistors." This is done with surface-mount stuff too.

EDIT: Also, 593.5nm is a DPSS wavelength - I think you want 594.1nm. :)

-Trevor

I think he means that if it's truly 0 ohms then it's not resisting anything, hence not a resistor. Oxy-moron. :p

I wonder how many watts that 0 ohm resistor is rated for? :D

-Tony

BennyF

Whats funny though is that there are regular jumpers on the board to so its not like all of the jumpers were just these 0 ohm resistors.

I think he means that if it's truly 0 ohms then it's not resisting anything, hence not a resistor. Oxy-moron. :p

I wonder how many watts that 0 ohm resistor is rated for? :D

-Tony

Silly fellow, and I thought that you were so bright... Obviously infinity.:crackup:

Benny, The world IS ending, Just that we won't be arround to see it (hopefully)...

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Benny, The world IS ending, Just that we won't be arround to see it (hopefully)...

Talk for yourself ..... i've already paid the tickets and reserved the seats for the end-of-the-world show, and don't want to waste my money ..... :p :D

Benm

Whats funny though is that there are regular jumpers on the board to so its not like all of the jumpers were just these 0 ohm resistors.

It depends on the distance a link has to span. If its equal to that of a standard PTH resistor (4/10 of an inch), using zerohms is often very practical in production since the machine that puts the other resistors on the board can do these too.

Placing shorter or longer wire bridges is often done using a different machine that puts actual bare wire in place, or even manually in smaller production runs.

I wonder how many watts that 0 ohm resistor is rated for?

0.25W in that form factor. The real resistance of these things is often in the order of 0.02 ohms, rating them at a burn-out current of about 6 amperes. I doubt the tracks leading to it would withstand that current though.

0.25W in that form factor. The real resistance of these things is often in the order of 0.02 ohms, rating them at a burn-out current of about 6 amperes. I doubt the tracks leading to it would withstand that current though.

LOL, I know bro, I was kidding. :yh:

-Tony

The real resistance of these things is often in the order of 0.02 ohms, rating them at a burn-out current of about 6 amperes.

Except there is (presumably) no carbon in them - just copper.