Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

If You've Actually Received Your Spyder III Arctic - Post Here

I received my G1 today. It just showed up with no shipping notification ahead of time. Elapsed time from order to delivery - 86 days. The box did include the extra goggles and lens pen. The goggles have no OD rating on them. The battery took 1hr 20min to charge. I've already ordered a pair of 'good' batteries and should have them in hand early next week.

The laser itself appears to be in good condition. No obvious nicks or scratches. The interior appears to be clean without the excessive heat paste reported in the first ones.

If it fails I'm not even going to bother trying to return it. I'll just gut it and use it as a host for a DIY project.

The laser seems to work though I can not vouch for the power output. While I was waiting for the battery to charge I removed the lens from the Training Lens and am using that front cap so there is no extra glass in the beam path.

I ran the laser, nearly non-stop, for over an hour. It was still going strong when I quit. Obviously lower power than at the start but still able to light a match at close range. I didn't really do any serious testing the first time out. This was mainly just to see if the bloody thing worked.

It does. The beam is noticeably out of alignment with the host, but that's really the only thing I could find to complain about and it's not _that_ bad. The beam shape was (eyeball measurement) about 1mmx2mm as close to the laser as I could still see it. At around 12 feet it was....about an inch long? I'll be doing precise measurements later but I'll probably wait until my Spartan shows up so I can measure them both at the same time.

One thing I forgot to do was pay any attention to the battery indicator lights. I know I was down to two lights relatively quickly but I didn't notice when it went to one and I didn't notice when it went to no lights. I do know that I ran the thing for almost thirty minutes with no battery indicator lights showing.

When I shut down to come back inside the host was noticeably warm in my hand. It had been locked in a holder for most of the time I had it running so that heat was internally generated and not my body heat. I'll assume that means the heat sinking is working properly.

So far I'll say that as a hobby laser it's worth the $200 I paid for it but I doubt I would buy another one. Especially considering the hassle I went through acquiring this one. Ask me again when my Spartan arrives and I have another 1W blue to compare it to.

ZapU

I received my G1 today. It just showed up with no shipping notification ahead of time. Elapsed time from order to delivery - 86 days. The box did include the extra goggles and lens pen. The goggles have no OD rating on them. The battery took 1hr 20min to charge. I've already ordered a pair of 'good' batteries and should have them in hand early next week.

The laser itself appears to be in good condition. No obvious nicks or scratches. The interior appears to be clean without the excessive heat paste reported in the first ones.

If it fails I'm not even going to bother trying to return it. I'll just gut it and use it as a host for a DIY project.

The laser seems to work though I can not vouch for the power output. While I was waiting for the battery to charge I removed the lens from the Training Lens and am using that front cap so there is no extra glass in the beam path.

I ran the laser, nearly non-stop, for over an hour. It was still going strong when I quit. Obviously lower power than at the start but still able to light a match at close range. I didn't really do any serious testing the first time out. This was mainly just to see if the bloody thing worked.

It does. The beam is noticeably out of alignment with the host, but that's really the only thing I could find to complain about and it's not _that_ bad. The beam shape was (eyeball measurement) about 1mmx2mm as close to the laser as I could still see it. At around 12 feet it was....about an inch long? I'll be doing precise measurements later but I'll probably wait until my Spartan shows up so I can measure them both at the same time.

One thing I forgot to do was pay any attention to the battery indicator lights. I know I was down to two lights relatively quickly but I didn't notice when it went to one and I didn't notice when it went to no lights. I do know that I ran the thing for almost thirty minutes with no battery indicator lights showing.

When I shut down to come back inside the host was noticeably warm in my hand. It had been locked in a holder for most of the time I had it running so that heat was internally generated and not my body heat. I'll assume that means the heat sinking is working properly.

So far I'll say that as a hobby laser it's worth the $200 I paid for it but I doubt I would buy another one. Especially considering the hassle I went through acquiring this one. Ask me again when my Spartan arrives and I have another 1W blue to compare it to.

So WL is still shipping G1's.
Did you ask them to send a G1?

So WL is still shipping G1's.
Did you ask them to send a G1?

Yes, I did. I requested the G1 three times. Once with the first email they sent, once with the second email they sent, and once with the email that gave specific instructions about subject line that they sent. I actually got a reply to the third one. It was obviously a canned auto-reply since I got it within literally minutes of my sending the request but I'm willing to bet that it's the reason I got the G1 rather than the G2.

ppctx

The box did include the extra goggles and lens pen. The goggles have no OD rating on them.

Interesting, all the ones posted about up till now have an OD rating (incorectly)labeled. Can you please post some pic's of the shades or goggles. Maybe they have switched supplier (or just quite labeling the OD rating?). Be VERY interesting if you could snap a pic of how much beam gets thru them.

ZapU

Yes, I did. I requested the G1 three times. Once with the first email they sent, once with the second email they sent, and once with the email that gave specific instructions about subject line that they sent. I actually got a reply to the third one. It was obviously a canned auto-reply since I got it within literally minutes of my sending the request but I'm willing to bet that it's the reason I got the G1 rather than the G2.

At least you got a G1. There have been numerous reports of people that ordered G1's and got G2's anyway.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow comparing the shades/goggles I got from WL with the OD 7+ goggles I bought from OEM laser systems.

I can tell you this much now. With the OD 7 goggles I see a faint dot that appears kinda orange.

With the WL glasses, I see a dot that is quite a bit brighter and it is still definitely blue in color.

My biggest problem with the WL goggles is that I wear glasses and need protective wear that can be worn over my glasses.

I got one of the "haha you failed, try again tomorrow" slips in the mail, so I'll be getting mine tomorrow! Too bad no one was home or I would be plying with it right now...

I just got my G2 today, it seems to be working fine with the included battery, ive got some of the sanyos the a LPF member sells on order, so those should be here today or tomorrow, so far no complaints, but ive heard that some lasers work fine at first then break, so keeping my fingers crossed :)

I just got mine yesturday. order # 472## June 10th, just short of 3 months.. everything works good. got a pair of Lasershades.. and another set of goggles marked ARG#35.. ARG#35 has markings and a Certification EN207 OD+7 barely see the dot when Laser on high.. charger and battery 1300mAh batt.. they are cheap.. I have other stuff that works on 18650 batteries.. no biggie..

A couple of pictures. These were taken through an OD 7+ filter.

The dot at a distance of 1 meter. Notice that it burned a hole in the graph paper.
The graph paper is a 1mm fine grid with heavier lines at 5mm and 10mm.

4971168292_1613212676.jpg

And here is the line at a distance of 10 meters. The laser remained locked in place on my tripod so the beam orientation did not change between pictures.

4970555981_b733a51269.jpg

A couple more pictures.

Yesterday someone asked me to post a picture of the goggles I received from Wicked Lasers. This picture shows the laser (mounted on a tripod) with the WL goggles sitting on top and my OEM Laser Systems goggles hanging off the front. Exposure was handheld at 1/20s and F5.6 with the flash to hide my shaky-cam.

4971814934_67321928c0.jpg

This next one is the same setup, just from farther away and with a longer exposure time. Used a tripod at 1/2s and F5.6 with no flash. Pretty blue beam. :)

The overhead lights (two 4' fluorescent fixtures) were on.

4971201433_5ec4541a4a.jpg

I think they wanted a close up of the lenses on the WL goggles. :whistle:

I can do that....

Note that this pair of goggles has never been used by me. This is only 2nd time they've been removed from the case. So, any scuff marks, scratches, etc that you see are from the factory.

4971309329_30f14cbe78.jpg