Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Idiots at school

So just yesterday I was called into the office and almost got suspended. I was accused of pointing a laser into people's eyes in our cafeteria. Fortunately I know who did it since I thought I saw a red light coming from some kid. Anyway, so I was In the VP's office and he asks how I could be so irresponsible. It's pretty well known at school that I build lasers. I've never brought one to school because that'd just be a recipe for danger, but my friends know I build and I've done some science projects about them.
I told the VP that I would never be so irresponsible and I gave him the name of the kid I believed to be the culprit. As is understandable I'm pretty peeved because it's a-holes like this that give lasers a bad name! Come to find out, this kid did have a laser. I was asked to bring it home to meter it. And sure enough it was overspec at 30mW. So basically this kid has caused eye damage to "his bros". Honestly, I'm going to try to buy it off this kid just to keep it from him. Or I'm going to pot mod it to a safer low level.
Anyone have work/school experiences like this?

In my day I'd slap him up the side of the head, and tell him if I caught him doing it again I'd shove it up his a$$.

I do some volunteer work up in the mountains every year. Last year we had some collage students working with us. I showed off my laser, and the first thing one of them says is "can you use that to blind people?" My heart dropped. Another one asked if it could burn holes through people. Faceplam. One kept offering money, up to $400, to buy it and I said forget about it.

Last edited:
In my day I'd slap him up the side of the head, and tell him if I caught him doing it again I'd shove it up his a$$.

I do some volunteer work up in the mountains every year. Last year we had some collage students working with us. I showed off my laser, and the first thing one of them says is "can you use that to blind people?" My heart dropped. Another one asked if it could burn holes through people. Faceplam. One kept offering money, up to $400, to buy it and I said forget about it.

:eek:

Last edited:
Seriously, and I'm near poor too. He asked me what they go for, and I told him $275 to get him off my back. He said he'll take it. I then told him it was a prototype, and I couldn't sell it. Then he offered me $400, and I said no.

If you had not noticed I'm more of a man of ethics than material. There is no way in hell I'm selling someone a laser to blind people with. It has nothing to do with the hobby, I just wont give someone something to hurt someone else with. He could of offered me a grand, would still be the same answer.

EDIT: This was not the first time someone offered me good money for a laser to blind someone. The world is a sick place.

Last edited:
I wouldn't even pay him for it. If this is what he's going to do with the laser he doesn't need to have it back. Call it a lesson.

Stix62

Its been a long time since I was at school, and i'm in the UK so i've no idea what a VP is, but why is he getting it back?
It IS illegal to shine lasers in peoples eyes isn't it?
In my day he would have been caned, suspended and probably the police would have been called. There's no way he'd get the laser returned to him.

Vice Principal.

I got caught with a BB gun in school, and they called the cops, and my mom. I dont know why they gave him the option of getting back either. Doesnt sound like the VP is doing his job very well.

Hiemal

Well, recently when I was heading to the bus after school, there was a dumb-ass shining a green laser pointer around. One of his (probably half blind now) friends was laughing about it saying "He shone it in my eyes like 4 times now."

People are so stupid.... :|

Come to think of it, you're all right. I'd be just as guilty giving him back the laser as he'd be for shining it in more peoples eyes. I think I'll be keeping it then.

I can't believe it is legal for them to give it to you, or for you to keep it. I don't understand how once they found him with the laser that it wasn't between the kid, the school, his parents and perhaps the authorities.

I dont get it either. I can understand he may want to know the power, but involving a 3rd party is not how situations like this are handled. Is the VP on drugs, or just stupid?

Wtf... kid shines a 30mW laser at other kids eyes...

That's assault.

The actions of the vice retard don't make any sense at all.

Are you fibbing Fret?

How do even have the option of selling it? The VP just handed it over to you for you to do what you want?

I dont know bud, doesnt smell right.

vk2fro

TJ is right - regardless of the kid being irresponsible with it, you should really only do what was asked - meter the laser and then return it to the VP. (btw VP=Vice Principal). The laser is not yours to keep and you don't have any authority to interfere with it or keep it. I know I'd be tempted to dial it back to sub 1mw power though!

Return it to the VP and advise them that the laser is way to powerful to have at school, and can easily damage other students retina's if they are hit by its beam.

Don't put yourself in a bad situation because you want to do the right thing. Do what the VP asked and not one step more. Prove to the VP your ARE responsible and upstanding and an ally to be had in laser-related incidents. Next time some idiot brings a laser in you won't get acused then.

Are you fibbing Fret?

How do even have the option of selling it? The VP just handed it over to you for you to do what you want?

I dont know bud, doesnt smell right.

Here's the breakdown
-Kid shines a laser at other kids eyes
-I get blamed because I have the rep of "that laser guy" since I build them but would never assault someone with one.
-I tell the VP who it really was
-I explain why this could be very dangerous
-VP asks me to meter it since I told him I have one and if its over 5mW it could have caused some damage
-It turned out to be ~30mW
-I'm debating whether or not I should keep it from this kid by paying him off since I'd rather be out $10 than have kids get injured.

I think Sigurthr and Vk2fro are right. I should just hand it back, tell him the mW Rating, explain what harm it can cause at that power, and tell him I don't want anything further to do with it.

Last edited: