Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Idiot sighting in Myrtle Beach, SC

I was at Spyglass minigolf last night with some family. Soembody with a green pointer started waving it around all over the place. I think it was somebody in a car stopped at the light nearby. It actually hit me in the face while he was waving it around. It looked like it was less than 5mW since the dot didn't appear very bright,

Happened to my last Feb. I'm guessing over 200mW it was from 1/2 a mile or so and very dusty but it was also a repeat offence. I was armed with my own set tempting very tempting.

I was at Myrtle Beach just a week ago as well! It angers me the amount of stores selling "Green Lazers" [sic]. Every single corner store sells them, heck, there's even planes flying by advertising them! And any child on vacation can pester there parents into getting one, being that they are only like 10$.

This is exactly how bad publicity for lasers is, and will continue to be generated. Sometimes I wish stores had to acquire a license to sell lasers other than red 5mW ones. I think it might be inevitable, with the rate I've been seeing lasers pop-up, and the exponential growth of companies like WL (not just WL though), that make lasers extremely accessible.

Perhaps I'm wrong though. Maybe lasers will dwindle in popularity, and our hobby will be safe from the meddling hands of idiots. If this Google Trends search for 'lasers' is and indication, we are headed on a good path here.

I was on vacation there a month ago and a lot of people had them and they had them at like every store there they seemed to just be the regular cheap ebay pointer types. But they love to annoy people with them.