Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Idea for shock proofing a laser (retarded)

Hi Guys,
I was just thinking. I have this stuff, where you mix these two liquids and it turns into a foam which hardens. I was thinking, if you poured this down the barrel of a completed laser with something in the space for the batteries, it would fill the space in between wires and the chip. Obviously it would suck to have to repair the laser, but if you did it correctly, you could probably drop it and not have to worry about anything moving around.

Thoughts?

i dono if thats a very good idea. because the diode will still be attached directly to the module and that should be directly attached to the heatsink which is directly attached to the host so really the diode would not be shock resistant.

Kenom

Not to mention is the "stuff" conductive? Would kind of defeat the purpose of assembling your laser if it was shorted out by the foam you used to fill the tube with. Now if you were to "suspend" the entire center contents in it, then it might work a small amount. What would be a little bit better is to take some foam pipe wrap, and wrap your entire laser in some of this. Would work pretty well but be ugly as sin!

The "Stuff"... standard expanding polyurethane foam... is non conducting.. :)
I still wouldn't bury my build in that stuff.. it is hell to remove.. :eek:
You would be better off... tying a chord to your laser and hanging it around
your neck... or like Kenom said... use the foam pipe insulators on the outside ;D ;D ;D ;D

JLSE

There are better means of shock absrobing, but starting on the outside is the direction which I have went ;)

Attachments

• Untitled-1a.jpg
    Untitled-1a.jpg
    574.2 KB · Views: 229

JLSE

I dont use the clip with pens, I sealed up 5 units at various powers to test my boost circuit. The cover is to help protect them for everyday use :)

Switch

wannaburn said:
I dont use the clip with pens, I sealed up 5 units at various powers to test my boost circuit. The cover is to help protect them for everyday use :)
I don't know who does. :p But it looks a little weird that way, maybe you could've removed them before? :-/ Anyway, they're completely pwn't ;D

JLSE

Switch said:
[quote author=wannaburn link=1224855006/0#6 date=1225048810]I dont use the clip with pens, I sealed up 5 units at various powers to test my boost circuit. The cover is to help protect them for everyday use :)
I don't know who does. :p But it looks a little weird that way, maybe you could've removed them before? :-/ Anyway, they're completely pwn't ;D[/quote]

Protective cover, as in their coming back off. I want to keep them safe as possible until testing is finished. Besides, they are more comfortable in the hand like this ;)

Benm

Those sleeves would be excellent if you could make them so that you can twist them after pressing the button, leaving the laser on continously.

A downside is that they do insulate the laser thermally, making any dimming of green lasers with long operation even worse.