Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

(idea) bluray laser in a mouse?

Can you imagine how awesome that would look... a blu ray laser in a mouse. It would have to be a laser mouse..and it would need lots of see through spots ;D

bluraymousetn1.png

^ photoshop lawl! ^

Well... I'm not sure that would work the way you want; Though, with any mouse that's full of LED's you could replace them with these: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2398  They're 405nm, the same color as bluray, though their acrylic housing fluoresces a bit and makes it a little greener.

The laser in a laser mouse is likely IR, and the sensor that's built for it is likely only sensitive to IR... Seeing as bluray is near UV, I'm not sure the sensor would work with it.
A generic optical mouse, on the other hand, only uses its LED as a source of illumination, using a tiny webcam to detect surface movement... I'm pretty sure one of the above DX LED's would work if you simply swapped it out.

it would probably work

the old normal optical mouses would also except every color led from red to green blue white and even ir and uv.
The problem with the laser mouses is that is uses vcel laser diodes (looks simular to a led but its not)
Some use a chip with integrated laser diode.
And ive also seen one with a standard 5.6 mm diode in it
but the hard part would be to focus it correctly and even then only 405 nmk light would be emited from the bottom of the mouse where u cant see it
so no real use for it that way

beter to use some 405 nm leds to eluminate the mouse from the inside

Xer0

Thats right. the only way it probably would work is to off-focus the diode so to make an bigger spot for illuminating. but i suppose the cmos sensor will have difficulties to recognise bottom movement correctly then.

the best thing you can do with an led-optical mouse ist to put an white in :D
i have moddem my so that i can exchange leds without soldering and had them all - red, green, blue, uv (looks cool but the voltage, intendet to drive a red led, is not enough to give this led an reasonable brighness resulting in bad accuracy)

im stuck with a White LED then cause it works reliabe even on pictures or black pad