Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ice cream paint job on my host...

I'm getting my 532 laser custom painted tomorrow.... as a trade from 1 of my friends at an automotive shop. Now what my question is, the procedure is it gets painted and I think he said 80 minutes at 80 degrees to cure out the paint.......

Do you guys think 80 minutes at 80 degrees would compromise any of the electronics???

It is a japanese laser off the internet so I cannot disassemble the interior pieces As they are glued and plus I would not feel comfortable doing so..................

In case anyone was wondering it's getting painted lime green.... the same color as the new camaros!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everybody

If you are asking if 80°F will damage your laser. I would say no. That would be equivalent to a hot summer day. You would not keep your laser in the refrigerator in the summer would you?

I see what you are saying I am asking 80 degrees fahrenheit for 80 minutes tho..... that is gonna raise the core temperature and everything two 80 degrees!!! I would not leave my laser in direct sunlight for 80 minutes!!!

Direct sunlight would exceed 80°F in 80 minutes. However 80°F is VERY safe as long as the humidity is low. Which I would assume it would be considering paint can't dry in humid conditions. The components in some lasers will greatly exceed 80°F in some conditions anyways. Your laser should be fine as long as you don't get it wet or get paint on the lens.

better leave it to dry for 2 3 days, PATIENCE...young padawan :p :D :crackup:

I talked to him be said they cook it at 130 degrees fahrenheit for 90 min...........so I just told him to skip that and leave it over night ..............

130°F is about normal temperature for my argon. I would say that it is a good idea to not have it cooked. I hope you plan to share the photos!

Just out of curiosity, what is the host made of? Just a tip, if it's aluminum and he's using an automotive paint, make sure he's using an etching primer or acid etch and alodine process to ensure adhesion. Good luck and can't wait to see the finished product.

great, post a photo of the finished product :beer:

O yea I will!!!!!!!!!!!

Just out of curiosity, what is the host made of? Just a tip, if it's aluminum and he's using an automotive paint, make sure he's using an etching primer or acid etch and alodine process to ensure adhesion. Good luck and can't wait to see the finished product.

He knows what he's doing !!! I did not ask if he was gonna but im sure he knows.......

Obviously he hasn't started to paint it yet but here is a preview of the color.... he works at a huge automotive chain hey actually painted this car he has paint left over that' how I got lucky

2011-10-11_13-06-08_433.jpg

2011-10-11_13-05-58_210.jpg

2011-10-11_13-05-36_343.jpg

2011-10-11_13-06-18_253.jpg

He knows what he's doing !!! I did not ask if he was gonna but im sure he knows.......

Yeah I figured, it's just not too often in the auto body industry that you have to paint aluminum due to the fact that most vehicles do not have aluminum body panels. I painted cars professionally for about three years before I ever even heard of etch and alodine, until I had to paint the roof on Acura NSX (aluminum). After about 8 years of auto body experience I got into painting private jets and helicopters. Of course aircraft are mostly aluminum so etching was a daily job.

CDHDC

Our booth is set at 140F. And remember, that's air temperature. The part itself will not get that hot. If it were mine, I'd just pull it out after 30 minutes, and let it sit for 24 hours.