Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I was denied a laser!

I want my first green laser to be above 5mW so I can pop balloons and possibly light matches but laserglow claims they won't ship the strong ones to Canada unless I'm certified. Any other trustworthy sites? Also, it was $60CDN just for their cheapest 5mW green laser! Any cheaper alternatives?

diachi

under the Radiation Emitting Devices Act it is prohibited to sell, lease or import into Canada a laser that creates a risk to any person of genetic or personal injury, impairment of health or death from radiation by reason of the fact that it: either does not perform according to the characteristics claimed for it; does not accomplish its claimed purpose; or emits radiation that is not necessary in order for it to accomplish its claimed purpose. Health Canada takes appropriate action when non-compliant lasers are found.

Laserglow will not ship to Canada because they are based in Canada and it would be illegal for them to sell a pointer above 5mW in Canada unless the purchaser is certified/registered.

APEX1

I want my first green laser to be above 5mW so I can pop balloons and possibly light matches but laserglow claims they won't ship the strong ones to Canada unless I'm certified. Any other trustworthy sites? Also, it was $60CDN just for their cheapest 5mW green laser! Any cheaper alternatives?

what safety glasses to you have for this "strong" laser you want?

I do not have goggles but I will get them as soon as I decide on a laser. Is there a reliable site that will send 50-100mW lasers without prerequisites?

Encap

Nobody here is going to tell you to or how to break/violate Canadian laws ---just as Laserglow wouldn't, didn't, and won't. How or if you break them and with whom is up to you. Any laser you import that is over 5mW is illegal and subject to being confiscated by Canada Customs and other penalties as per Canadian Law.

Take some time and read through the threads that interest you in the Companies section, the Legal and Safety section, and the Buy, Sell, Trade section----learn enough to be able to ask a serious question.

"As of June 2011, it is illegal to import, sell, or provide (meaning giving to anyone even for free), high-powered portable lasers (over 5mW i.e. Class 3B and Class 4) to a consumer in Canada under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act. That means you. There are no loopholes. The regulations are purposefully structured to be extremely conservative and broad in scope. It doesn't matter what you intend to use them for, or that you already have one, or whether you think that you're not a "consumer". If you are not a scientist working in a laser lab at a University, or a CLSO, or an OEM which is integrating these lasers into other devices for commercial purposes, then you are a consumer.
What does this mean for the Canadian laser industry and Canadian laser purchasers?:
-If you attempt to import a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher you can expect to have it seized, as we have seen already.
-If you attempt to sell or make available a portable laser which is Class 3B or higher, Health Canada has an incredible array of powers to utilize against you, including product seizure, mandatory recall, huge fines, etc. Note, it doesn't need to be a sale. Giving one of these to your brother for free would be considered a violation." From post #1 in thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/canadian-restrictions-portable-lasers-official-info-release-laserglow-73129.html

Last edited:
"Nobody here is going to tell you to or how to break/violate Canadian laws ---just as Laserglow wouldn't, didn't, and won't."

Wrong right there. The guy mentioned in Asia there are a few shipping companies. Common you can't tell me EVERYONE here resides in a country where 5mW+ are legal or they are certified to do so.

If I had time to read through most threads here,I would so I wouldn't have to put up with these responses but I am a full time student so I figured I can safely ask a question as the site permits it...

What is it with sites have snooty, unwelcoming veterans, that seldom provide actual helpful knowledge?
I am a veteran on Gamefaqs and if newb asks a question, I answer it, simple as that. No smartas comments like "go read through EVERYTHING before you show,your face here"

If I had time to read through most threads here,I would so I wouldn't have to put up with these responses but I am a full time student so I figured I can safely ask a question as the site permits it...

A full time student are you? Obviously still in elementary school. You're not a vet on any forum. You don't know how to use a forum, only an idiot or someone that knows nothing about forums would start 5 threads in one day asking the same thing. That's about the quickest way to piss people off. Your not off to a good start here, but it's not too late to avoid getting banned. If you want to remain a member here go fill in more info in your profile, your age, your location, and post a thread in the welcome forum telling us more about yourself. Then people will be more friendly if you're more careful what you post.

There's no answer to your question if you're not willing to spend enough money, just buy a cheap laser off eBay or Amazon or some Chinese site. Save up at least $100 to get a good laser.

Alan

Thanks and I did not make 5 threads asking the same thing, 1 person made that claim & others bandwagoned.

Also, on my Android, it does not provide a profile option. On other sites, it should be in the User CP.

Anyways, even for cheap sites, which particular model is trustworthy to last for at least 6 months & decent quality among the cheap lasers?

Thanks and I did not make 5 threads asking the same thing, 1 person made that claim & others bandwagoned.

Also, on my Android, it does not provide a profile option. On other sites, it should be in the User CP.

Anyways, even for cheap sites, which particular model is trustworthy to last for at least 6 months & decent quality among the cheap lasers?

You did make 5 threads in one day, I just read through all 5, anyone can visit your profile and see what threads you started, they should have been only one thread.

Yes your profile is in the User CP, or to just view it, click on your name.

Alan

look at laserbtb they are cheap and ship worldwide more or less..

"Nobody here is going to tell you to or how to break/violate Canadian laws ---just as Laserglow wouldn't, didn't, and won't."

Wrong right there. The guy mentioned in Asia there are a few shipping companies. Common you can't tell me EVERYONE here resides in a country where 5mW+ are legal or they are certified to do so.

What is it with sites have snooty, unwelcoming veterans, that seldom provide actual helpful knowledge?
I am a veteran on Gamefaqs and if newb asks a question, I answer it, simple as that. No smartas comments like "go read through EVERYTHING before you show,your face here"

The time it takes you to ask questions and wait for a reply, you could spend that time reading the stickies. They are stickies for a reason. Several other new members have asked the same questions. The veterans here yes are a bit more "strict", but to say they do not give useful information is fool-hearty at best and flat out slanderous at worst. Please refrain from insulting our veterans as they are extremely helpful and do know what the heck they are talking about. Please refrain from taking suggestions personally. It is not a personal attack it is information being disseminated to you to go look at the plethora of information that is already available to you. Just looking at other member's signatures will provide you with useful information. Using the search feature at the bottom of the page will provide you more results that the search feature at the top of the page. Also going through each sub-forum and reading each sub-forums' stickies will help you out quite a bit.

Well said Trendkilla254, sometimes it takes a bit of time to find the info but just about every question you can think of has already been answered in great detail. Just have to look for it.
ZyzzFan666, Bummer that you live in Canada because they are very strict on hand held lasers :(

LOL ... I just noticed that Encap does not have location showing. Not stepping on your toes my dear sir as you are a long time vet and super helpful, just thought it was funny :)