Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need to focus!

I'm in love with my new blu ray diode! I rigged it up with a home made driver board in an old housing. Unfortunately it would only focus at about one inch, but at about 114Ma, it was still melting little lines in black plastic!

Anyway, I want to build myself a focusing assembly. Building it won't be a problem, I just need to know where I can get some lenses. Do I need a culminating AND an output lens? I want to end up with a beam, like what you would get with a laser pointer.

Thanks

I'm in love with my new blu ray diode! I rigged it up with a home made driver board in an old housing. Unfortunately it would only focus at about one inch, but at about 114Ma, it was still melting little lines in black plastic!

Anyway, I want to build myself a focusing assembly. Building it won't be a problem, I just need to know where I can get some lenses. Do I need a culminating AND an output lens? I want to end up with a beam, like what you would get with a laser pointer.

Thanks

You only need a collimated lens to focus the laser. Common lenses that do this are Aixiz module lenses or Sure Electronics lenses (both are the exactly same). They can be had for around $4.

I was about to buy an order from the aixiz website and I saw some reviews that said they never got their orders, what's the deal with that?

Is there a good site they has all of this kind of stuff? I don't want to order driver boards from one place, lenses from another, other parts from another, etc. I was looking on o-like, and it looks like they have a lot of what I need (not all...) but they seem to bend you over for shipping.

jeffd

Check out Sk8er's sig. High tech dealz has good prices and they ship fast too

Yeah, I did, but they still don't have everything... I don't see why some of these sites can't sell drivers, or diodes, or laser modules. It seems like you will be able to get a site that sells one or two, but not all. I for one would spend a few extra bucks just for the convenience of being able to shop in one place.

I would also really be interested in getting one of the infrared laser modules that aixiz has listed, as I need a good infrared laser for my project. The only other place I have been able to find an infrared module is o-like. I would really like to be able to get just the diode if anyone has a source, or other modules.

One more thing aixiz has is the glass lenses for only $5. I'd rather have a glass one that a plastic one, but $20 plus is too much for me... I mostly just need it to point, not melt through the blast doors.

cust11

Really an AixiZ acrylic lens will work fine for what you plan on doing. If you do decide to upgrade to glass I HIGHLY suggest Jayrobs 405-G-1 lens. It is $55 but worth every penny!

So when you get the urge to make your PHR a monster, consider a Jayrob lens assy.

-Mike

Yeah, I did, but they still don't have everything... I don't see why some of these sites can't sell drivers, or diodes, or laser modules. It seems like you will be able to get a site that sells one or two, but not all. I for one would spend a few extra bucks just for the convenience of being able to shop in one place.

I would also really be interested in getting one of the infrared laser modules that aixiz has listed, as I need a good infrared laser for my project. The only other place I have been able to find an infrared module is o-like. I would really like to be able to get just the diode if anyone has a source, or other modules.

One more thing aixiz has is the glass lenses for only $5. I'd rather have a glass one that a plastic one, but $20 plus is too much for me... I mostly just need it to point, not melt through the blast doors.

Check out Modwerx. Diodes, sleds, drivers, and test loads, all in the same place. Lots of other goodies, too. Drew is good people; quick shipment and very helpful. I'm not sure how powerful you want that IR diode to be, but you can pick up one in a harvested LPC sled for 99 cents. IIRC, it should be good for about 100ma, maybe more.

As for the focus problem, here's a couple of things to look at; Did you get your diode pressed all the way into the module, so that it's recessed and not just flush? (Assuming you used an Aixiz module.) A tiny little bit can make a big difference. A good recessed press will also allow for better heat transfer.

Second thing; Are you sure that it's not focusing properly? 405nm light can be screwy sometimes. A lot of people have trouble focusing on it properly. For example, when I have a Blu Ray focused to infinity, I'll see a single bright dot surrounded by a halo, unless I'm standing right next to whatever the dot is projected on.

Last edited:
Take the silver ring off of the Lense screw. Screw the lense closer to the diode. It should focus for you just fine with out having to buy more stuff.

I'm not using an aixiz housing for it yet, I just put it in the case for an old green one after I removed some parts from it. It is just one of those screw in brass cases.

Modwrex looks like a good site, I'll probably order from there. Does anyone know what's the deal with aixiz?

What do you mean? Are they being slow? Because thats normal for them

No, I haven't ordered from them. I just read two reviews on their site that two people didn't get their orders.