Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need tips on goggle usage

Hey guys, my first high power laser, which is a 400mw 532nm O-like, will soon be in my hands, and I was wondering during what applications (star pointing, indoor use, burning stuff, playing with it at night outside, etc) will I NEED to use safety goggles? I'm hoping when I'm on my roof shining it around/at the sky I won't have to use them...

First off, i wouldnt be playing with it outside, if i where u, a 400mw laser, really isnt something to be playing with.

Secondly, the way i see it, wear goggles all the time, u never know whats gonna happen, u might catch a reflection, or even drop the laser, and have it shine into your eye (i know it sounds stupid, but it COULD happen...)

thirdly, for the love of god, when using it in the house, WEAR GLASSES, AND MAKE SURE NOONE ELSE IS IN THE HOUSE !!

Your question is sort of like asking, when playing with a gun, do i have to wear kevlar? even when not pointing the gun at yourself? what about when shooting it indoors, not aiming at anyone.

would u not put on a $50(if it where goggles) kevlar, just to make sure.. that u dont lose your life (your eye)

Last edited:

TuhOz

When you "play" with it indoors (burning, popping balloons), USE goggles.

Outdoors you dont need goggles if you're not pointing it at any shiny things

What TuhOz said.

@whitewhidow, you're overreacting a bit. How is he supposed to do any actual "pointing" and "beaming" if you cannot see the beam or the dot?

xKoalakingx (why x at beggining and end?) = If you're pointing the laser around indoors, it would be advisable to use goggles if you're doing it for extended periods of time where there is danger of beam reflecting back, because it will happen sooner or later. Besides, 400mW green dot is painful to look at. You apsolutely must wear safety goggles when you're burning stuff with your laser (matches, balloons, what else).

When you are outside, I see no reason to wear safety goggles other than safety goggles making you look real cool :p Just do not use the laser in that case. See, wearing goggles outside can even be counter-productive: you cannot see the laser at all and you might point it where it's not supposed to be pointed and bring harm to somebody else.

Well, general rule of thumb: use common sense. It's the best protection. Safety goggles are in case of an accident. Preventing accidents should be your primary concern, because honestly, it's not you who is in danger of going blind. It's people around you. Though, making sure the house is empty before turning on your laser is just being stupid. Don't point it at the door. Problem solved.