Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I Need some help!!

luck45

Last edited:

luck45

I tried to take pictures with 3 different cameras but none came out anywhere close to clear enough to see what is going on. the chip has the solder points on top and bottom and the diode has no pins the pins broke off when it got twisted. I will try to get a picture

If the Pins are broken off flush or below the rear surface of
the Laser Diode... then it will be almost impossible to repair..

It may be cheaper/easier to replace the 808nm IR LD....
Some members have done that...
I'm sure some will chime in...

Jerry

luck45

yea its broke flush. Is there anything I can try to do to repair it at all? Any place to get a cheap good diode I could put in its place?

If you have the skills and can solder to the nubs on the
LD then perhaps you can get it working... That's a long shot..

That Laser for the price you paid probably puts out about
50 to 100mW max.. It would take at least a similar 808nm
IR Laser Diode of about 250mW to 500mW.
It is hard to tell since you did not meter your laser before
you broke it..

808nm LDs can be found on eBay... make sure it is the
same physical dimensions...

BTW... for that price... I would buy another Laser...only
this time don't screw with it...

Jerry

luck45

Ok well I will buy another one. I want one thats 200mw or more for about the same price do you have any recommendations?

Morgan

THe recommendation is not to expect any laser at that price to output 200mW of green. That's the simple truth of it. Have a look round the forum, especially in the, "Companies", and, "Reviews", sections. This will show you where you can get 200mW output lasers and what you should expect to pay for that true output. All the cheap Chinese and cheap Ebay sources are relying on the honest but uninitiated guys like yourself to cough up not a lot of dough for a lie about output.

Having said this, were you happy with it? If so, be aware you can get a lower output laser from a reputable seller, for the same price as you paid and it will be just what they say it is. You won't enjoy it any less.

Good luck.

M
:)

luck45

ok so what would be one that I could burn things and would have the most bang for that price?

Morgan

That's what the, "Reviews", section is for. So you can decide this for yourself! ;)

If you want to stick with green and just want to buy, then go have a trawl through the reviews and build up a picture. It's really the only way.

Personally I build all mine and have only ever bought one complete laser if I remember correctly.

For bang for your buck... Probably bluray. The shorter wavelength means it's more energetic and, in general, this means lower power burning, depending on what you are trying to burn. 100mW of bluray will burn white paper slowly; 100mW of red is not likely to as easily, if at all.

For a cheap, simple kit, look here -

Laser Hosts and Laser Kits - Items - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop

Most people start out building a red, then move on to BR and so on. I would recommend you get the third one down and buy an LPC-815 sled diode, (AKA the LOC, or Long Can Open diode), from the same place as it will arrive at the same time. You will need batteries and a charger but all the parts are there.

M
:)

luck45

ok cool. Thanks alot you guys I am going to try fix the one I have and if i cant I will look into buying one to build.