Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need Help DECREASING the mW of a home built Blue Laser pointer

Hello,
I'm fairly new to Laser's and I want to build a Blue Laser pointer, I bought the parts, but it's going to be about 150 mW and I would only want it to be about 30-50mW, What can I do to decrease it? can I use resistors? If so, which ones and how many??? You see, I want something for astronomy (I originally wanted to use a green but I couldn't figure it out) and 150mW is just over kill, I don't want to accidentally burn someones skin or anything.

Well, Thank you!!!:thanks:

chessmaster010

It all depends on what type of Blu-Ray (not BLUE) Laser Diode you are using...
and what type of LD driver you are using....

It is difficult to help you if all you say is "help"...

BTW...
Contrary to what some members may say... using the [Search] button
will allow you to access the tons of Laser Related information on the
Forum.

Jerry

Last edited:
Hey laserbee,

I'm sorry, Like I said, I'm still very new with lasers.
Here is what I'm getting:
HTML:
http://cgi.ebay.com/150mW-405nm-Blue-Violet-blu-ray-Laser-Diode-in-Module_W0QQitemZ170373006142QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item27ab05c33e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

well, Thanks!

Hey hessmaster010...
There is an {s} in my LPF user Name....

LaserBee I is the copyright name of the product we sell (without the {s});)

Here is the link to your Laser Parts....

150mW 405nm Blue-Violet "blu-ray" Laser Diode in Module on eBay.ca (item 170373006142 end time 24-Aug-09 01:03:48 EDT)

As you can see on the listing... there is a BLUE rectangular part that is
a 10 turnPotentiometer...
that will allow you to adjust the output power of your Blu-Ray laser...

Of course you will not know the power you are adjusting it to..
without a Laser Power Meter...

BTW ... that looks like the DDL LM317 driver that is on the LPF Forum...

Jerry

Last edited:
If ur using it for astronomy you might want 150mw, the violet beam is very dim, contrary to my picture which was taken with fog.

Noo, I'm still here.. I just bought a 50mW Green from novalasers.com. My Violet that I had turns out was broken, so I Wont need to turn the power down on it.. and I have a new laser already xD.

Chessmaster --

I will trade your 150 mW green for a new 25 mW green pointer. No problem !!
The Blu isn't all that bright to the eye anyway.

HMike

Chessmaster --

I will trade your 150 mW green for a new 25 mW green pointer. No problem !!
The Blu isn't all that bright to the eye anyway.

HMike

Hey, 2 things. One. I had a 150mW Blu-ray, not green. I have a 50mW green. but if you were talking about the blu-ray, I would be highly up for that, just one problem. My Blu-ray is pretty much mal-functioning. I mean, The power it give is like an unfocused 5mW (dot is several inches large.. cant seem to focus it). Nowhere near 150mW. It could be the circut board or the diode, I'm not sure. if it was functioning I'd be up for that though. (tried to fix it.. failed -.-). But thanks for the offer!

Last edited:
Link dont work. But wont a diode need a collimating/focusing optic? The divergence is huge?

I have a 635nm 5mW diode that I am messing with for work, with cross generating grating to align to large optical units, and if I take the end cap that has the focus optic and grating in it out, the beam is enormous.

Try turning the lens around and see if it focuses any better...

My Blu-ray is pretty much mal-functioning. I mean, The power it give is like an unfocused 5mW (dot is several inches large.. cant seem to focus it). Nowhere near 150mW.