Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need green laser pointer help

Hello!
about 2 years ago I got a green laser pointer pen as a gift
I have no clue what kind it is
but I can tell you its a pen like thing and it unscrews it half removing the diode from the 2 AA batterys
its has worked well and ive been rather mean to it (dropped it kick it and kept it in my pocket with a bunch of other stuff)
until about six months ago when it just stopped working so after a month or two I decided to tinker around with it to try and make it work again
I took of a foam rubber ring around spring the connects to the battery and almost instantaneous found out the problem
the diode turned 180 degrees around
so I got a pair of needle nose pliers and turned it around and it worked almost even better than it did originally for 3 months but every once in a while I would have to turn it around again

but now I can get it to turn on very well and I am tired of having to turn it around all the time
is there some way I can reset the diode? with glue or something?

if need be I can put up pics

thanks guys!

Asherz

To be honest for the price of the those cheap green pointers it's not worth really any major repairs on them.

Go over to dealextreme.com and order a new one :)

Yeah, it'd be interesting to see what design this is; and if you show us what it is maybe we could identify it and help fix it easier... Descriptions generally don't work too well..

i hope these help
sorry if they stretch your screen

lasers001.jpg

it brakes in half
lasers002.jpg

here is the diode from the back side
also i notice that even when the buttons line up the entire board bends down
lasers005.jpg

here ill move it around
lasers004.jpg

oh and if you care here is the battery side
its just 2 AAA bats
lasers006.jpg

need another pic?

TTerbo

Wow you wernt kidding about the wear and tear.
well use some glue to secure the board in place

the worse thing i did to it was i ran on stage to say my only line it dropped out of my pocket i kicked it it cought the lip of the stage 30feet away and stopped but the pen clip part on it flew into the crowd of people never to be found again
also it was pure black when i got it
---
what kind of glue?
just fill the case with glue?
should i perform any maintenance on it before completely gluing it down?

TTerbo

just two dabs of 2 part epoxy on the corners of the board, dont completely fill it.
cheers

ok well that didn't work :(
i got it all set up so it would work glued it down waited the 15 hours an it won't turn on what so ever :(

Reactions: ARG
The switch may be faulty.

You may need to unscrew the diode section and replace the switch.

daguin

just two dabs of 2 part epoxy on the corners of the board, dont completely fill it.
cheers

that easy eh?
ill give it a try
thanks a lot man!

ok well that didn't work :(
i got it all set up so it would work glued it down waited the 15 hours an it won't turn on what so ever :(

Maybe that last turn was the last turn it could take. Every time you twisted that thing, you put torque on the diode pins and the solder pads. They were bound to fail eventually. If you did not get any glue on the board, switch, or diode, it should work just like it did before unless it finally failed.

You can get a new one on eBay for <$10

Peace,
dave

TTerbo

dude i know you have some physical attachement to this laser. if you dont want to buy another laser. buy another module and put it into that host. you could even get like a 200mW module. if you dont know how to do this or dont want to you may find someone with good rep like um..Daguin :) jayrob etc. just send them the host and the new module,
:)

The module may or may not be fixable.

Do you have any basic soldering experience?

Do you have access to a soldering iron, multimeter and a vice?

Also- is there any epoxy on the spring?