Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need advice for my burning laser!

Hey! This is my first thread so, yeah.. :beer:

Anyway, after looking tru ALOT of videos and reading a TON about lasers..
I've been tempted to build my very own burning laser. :)
The CD/Dvd Burner diode kind. :yh:
I have all the parts except 1, the Aixiz Module.
I can't seem to find it in my country, i literally searched the whole country (i live in singapore, its VERY small, like about 2-3 hours to travel from one end to the other)
So my question is, do i really need the Aixiz module?
Doesnt it just like, focuses the beam?

Thanks for helping me out guys!

P.S sorry if i'm being a noob about this,i just recently started this building a laser craze ! :lasergun:

I'm not the expert in where to get common pointer stuff, but just an example of where aixiz modules are sold: here

ahhh, thanks!
but do i really need it?
casue, its will be hard for my to order in the net as i do not have a credit card-.-
i'm only 16 you know. But dont let that fool you... haha

actually the aixiz module is basically a lens with holder wich is threaded for precise adjustable distance of the lens to the laser diode.It actually works as a diode holder with lens for focusing the laser light into a beam(or dot) you need it to focuse the laser light from your diode to pinpoint to make it burn
Also where did you get your diode if its from CD burner/recorder it wont work because it uses invisible light(IR).But if its from DVD Burner (only) you will yhave burning laser
if you have any other questions, feel free to ask

Actually, i have 2 diodes, one from a CD burner the other a DVD burner. :)
and another question, couldnt i just like, use lenses and such to focus the beam? (eg, magnifying glasses etc etc)
and a custom holder for the diode?
AND, i've seen a video on youtube about a Homemade IR laser that burns. Is that even possible?

Thanks for helping me out btw !

MikeBP

toss the one from the cd burner

get you a driver, the azeez module you can order online pretty much anywhere, since you are so young make sure to get your parents permission before ordering on the internet.

hahaha, actually, i can order it if i want..but that would be an easy way out eh?
I'll prefer making the housing and maybe the driver.. haha

Too high expectations eh?

Morgan

Expectation may be too high for the housing... but spot on for the driver.

Aixiz make it so easy. Unless you have access to machining equipment and know how to use it, there really is only one way to go, (disclaimer: other modules are available).

Buy yourself a recognised module to install your diode. You get the focusing assembly included with some heatsinking, (if the module has enough heatsinking depends on how high-powered your diode is).

As for the driver, build yourself one. Search, "DDL driver", and you'll be on the right path...

M
:)

hahaha THANKS!
It would be hard for me to get the housing... my country doest sell it!
and i don't have access to a credit card..which sucks..

Actually, i have access to machining equipment in school as i'm taking Design and Technology. LOL
I'll building a laser as my artifact!

Thanks for the advice on the driver! i was researching on it!
i'm so gonna start building it.

Morgan

If you can Paypal then I'm sure someone can send you a module...

.... a PM might be appropriate right now...

M
:)

Yeah, just ask someone with a CC if they will order something for you, bring cash and meet 'em at an internet cafe or something :beer:

The aixiz module has a dual purpose. It can house many common drivers, it houses the most common laser diode package, and it transfers the heat from the laser diode housing to the aixiz module (more mass means it can hold more heat), and it is easier to machine a heatsink for an aixiz module than for a laser diode.

Aixiz are great, but they're hard to press the diode in there sometimes. I've done one so far and haven't had time for more, but I ran into some problems with mine and couldn't get the diode all the way in. It is my fault entirely for not harvesting it correctly, so learn from my mistake. Try to get the diode out in as pristine condition as you can. Then it should be much easier to get the diode to press-fit into the module. Some say to use the back end, since it has a hole for the wires to go through that fits right around the pins of the diode.