Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I Have Several Thousand $ to Spend on Lasers

Entity

Hi. I have been into handheld lasers for a while now. My first laser was a 95mW Nexus from wicked lasers. It still works good and it is more than 2 years old. I used to be an active forum member at LC. My interest in lasers faded for a while as I was very busy this past year. Recently I started posting at LC again. And of course, I got banned. They didn't even tell me why. I had 1500 posts. I don't think I will be buying from them again anytime soon.

On to the subject of this thread. I recently came across several thousand dollars that I intend to spend on handheld lasers. I want to buy a wide range of lasers (some very powerful high quality, all the way down to lower quality, lower powered pointers). Eventually I intend to make a site and review all of the lasers I will have. It will be a sort of ultimate buyers guide. Anyways, I have several questions before I come up with my final list. Actually, a lot of questions, but I would REALLY appreciate the answers.

1) Tech Lasers. I know it is Affiliated with Wicked or maybe even the same company. I want to know why people here don't seem to like it though. Is there something I should know? You can't complain about the quality of the lasers because they are all CNI made correct? And they have the lowest prices on their models. I also hear that they have good customer service. This does not surprise me. Wicked has excellent customer service as well in my experiences. SO is there something I should know before buying a 400mW crossfire from them? Do they swap stickers and sell underpowered lasers?

2) Dragon Lasers. Is this a dependable site? I have every reason to believe it is a good site. Once again, I just want to make sure. I mainly wanted to know about the Spartan BP laser series. These are the cheapest priced blue lasers I have seen. The specs look amazing (divergence, power, beam diameter etc.) They claim to have models going up to 60mW (only 1500) and 50mW (1000), however they only have to see 40mWs and below in stock. I am definitely going to buy one, though they seem almost to good to be true. Does anyone know who the manufacturer is? They do not look like CNI models and I have NEVER seen one on any other site.

3) What laser power meter do you recomend I get? I definitely need one. I was first just going to get a $400 Coherent LaserCheck. These do not seem very acurate though. Would it be best to purchase a homemade one from KENOM on the forums?

That's all I can think of for now. I REALLY appreciate the help. :D

Entity

Oh, and if anyone is interested, here is my purchase list so far (non-official)

1) Optotronics RPL 400 handheld green laser (400-425mW average output)

2) Crossfire 400mW or Dragon Lasers version (I believe this is the CNI PGL something or other)

3) Spartan BP 60mW blue portable laser

4) 5mW orange CNI pointer

5) Aura GW handheld green laser from Dragon Lasers (175mW)

6) Spartan GW 250mW green portable laser

7) several green CNI style pointers of assorted outputs

8) A bunch of cheap lasers from DX and kaidomain

9) Some sort of laser meter.

Amnizu

If you're looking to get a collection of lasers, then pseudonomen137 can probably hook you up with discount prices.

As for websites, Techlasers is basically Wickedlasers and as such they're shit. They send out under-spec lasers and fuck people out of their money. Dragonlasers, in my opinion, is reliable, but many many people here distrust them for much the same reason as Wickedlasers and Techlasers.

I own a Kenometer, and I would definitely recommend you get one. They're cheap, reliable and work really well.

Also, check out:

http://www.novalasers.com
http://www.optotronics.com
http://www.laserglow.com

These are widely accepted as the top 3 for customer service, laser quality and quality control/quality assurance. They sell good products with a very high rate of consistency and if you somehow get a bad product from them, they won't hesitate to fix your problem, and maybe even upgrade you to a higher model for your trouble.

Yes, Techlasers sells underpowered lasers, and no, you probably wouldn't get your money back from them if you decide to go that way. I personally bought a very expensive laser from Dragonlasers, the Spartan GW, and it performs at rated output like they promised, so I don't think they're a bad way to go. Most people still believe that they're a gamble as to whether or not you get an up-to-spec laser, though.

edit: after reading your second post, if you're considering a DL Spartan BP 60mW, I would save yourself $3-400 and buy an Optotronics RPL-blue 35mW instead. Optotronics has guaranteed outputs and a very thorough burn-in and testing process, so you're guaranteed the advertised output.

Switch

spyrorocks said:
[quote author=wesdaman14 link=1205021376/0#5 date=1205025778]i have a mode hopping Dx true <50mW that i will sell you for 40$ plus shipping
[/quote]

LOL

Anyway, Entity, I see you have a lot of dough to spend.How come you didn't consider a LaserGlow Aries or Hercules with beam extender?

Kenom

Switch said:
LOL

Anyway, Entity, I see you have a lot of dough to spend.How come you didn't consider a LaserGlow Aries or Hercules with beam extender?

See, Now that's the way I'D GO. laserglow all the way.

becaus that would probly be all his money on one laser :p man i wish i had that much becaus that is one fine laser : )

man! i wish i had the option of all of those, i wish you good luck, and im sorry about the lc crap... anyway, i would try a herc and a 60mw blue, also some red that is very powerful and a good quality blu ray, a yellow would be very cool, like one from laserglow like an rigel or maybe something more powerful

I envy you!

Anyway, I would stay away from both Dragon Lasers and Techlasers. Techlasers is known to send out terrible units with terrible customer service. In fact, usually they didn't even respond to emails about defective lasers. Dragon Lasers is better than Techlasers, but they are known to send out bad lasers too. Pseudonomen137 bought two Viper125's from them to do a test to prove that they send out underpowered units, and sure enough they were both underpowered.

For a power meter get the Kenometer, it is accurate and priced very nicely.

As said before in this thread, Nova, Optotronics, and Laserglow are the top sites this forum knows and trusts.

BTW, you might want to PM pseudonomen137 and ask him about prices for his lasers. He sells the exact same lasers that are listed on the popular sites but for much nicer prices. He is pretty busy right now but might as well give it a try, you could save a few hundred dollars buying from him instead of the laser companies.

MB500

I'd expand my colors if I were you. Get some yellow, and some more blues. You could make a pretty powerful blu-ray too with that kind of money. Green has got to be kind of boring after a while. I would go with Techlasers, being a satisfied customer of theirs. Mine is definatley not underpowered.

MB500 said:
I would go with Techlasers, being a satisfied customer of theirs. Mine is definatly not underpowered.
You may have just been one of the lucky ones. I know I won't ever order from them after hearing all of those horror stories about them, even if they do send out some good ones to. There is just too much of a risk of getting a bad one.

Entity said:
Oh, and if anyone is interested, here is my purchase list so far (non-official).
I am sure most are very impressed by your "non official" purchase list. If I were you, I would buy a spyder 2 and a Kenom power meter, handcuff yourself to an anchor, throw yourself into the nearest lake and check out the stability over 5 minutes. That is , if you don't run out of air first.

Jase ;)

HAHAHAHA!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D That was even funnier then the thread of the guy trying to sell his mode hopping greenie for $40. I just woke my son up laughing! nice moves Jase

Tallaxo said:
[quote author=Entity link=1205021376/0#1 date=1205022119]Oh, and if anyone is interested, here is my purchase list so far (non-official).
I am sure most are very impressed by your "non official" purchase list. If I were you, I would buy a spyder 2 and a Kenom power meter, handcuff yourself to an anchor, throw yourself into the nearest lake and check out the stability over 5 minutes.  That is , if you don't run out of air first.

Jase  ;)[/quote]