Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I have a 16x diode need advise

Hi, I am new to building lasers. I have been reading as much as I can, and trying get as much info as I can so I dont have to ask questions that are repetitive. But I need to ask, as I dont want to do this build wrong, and I wan the most power and efficiency that I can get from my laser diode. I have a host brinkman aluminum flashlight that I had laying around, LG 16x diode, I ordered an axiz housing, I have pc heatsink that I am modifying to fit the host with axiz housing, then I have several lith-ion batty's to get the 7.2-7.4 and up range ( 2x 14500's make 7.4, 15270's make 7.4 and more.) I make e-cig mods. So, I am working on the driver. I just want to build my own, but able to fit in my host so needs to be small and simple. I saw this:
LM317%20basic.jpg

can I use this setup? what would you change in this setup to get most power this diode can handle? I am doing it on the cheap as I have only spent $4 on the axiz housing, saving for my next laser build.

Thanks in advance. Like I said i don want to be repetitive, but I have been reading this site for a while and there is so much helpful info. After this build its on to a 1w blue. ( I know all safety precautions )

side note: I am having a hard time finding a 5ohm resistor at my local radio shack.......if above setup will work for me, is there an alternative to the 5ohm resistor???

Last edited:

I am pretty confused with the math needed and so on. I really dont want to buy a driver for this one. I couldnt find a 100ohm pot meter at my local stores. I dont want to order anything online either cause that would be like just ordering a driver. I have read alot and I admit I am confused. The diagram shown above seems the best and easiest way to go for me, I just need to know if it will give me the max power output I can use safely. Thanks, cause I am going nuts with this. I want to do it right and easy. I want to prepare for my next build.

Thank you very much. is 250ma safe for me? what mW will it give it? sorry for my ignorance, I am a slow learner.

I'm not sure of the output of the 16x, and 250ma should be fine even 300ma would probably be ok. You should be able to get 150mW - 200mW out of a 16x.

will I achieve that power with this setup? I know I have to change the resistor up a little to make the power higher???

jib77

Check Mouser.com or Digikey.com for electronic parts. Shipping doesn't show when you order, but they do give you a shipping estimate(usually around $5 for UPS ground on small orders).

Go here to calculate you resistor value: >>link<<

And plug in the value and wattage greater than indicated by the calculator here: >>link<<

Hey Drew, as far as the math goes, on that LM317 chip it produces a 1.25V difference between the output and the ADJ pin. From there you can calculate how much current would be produced by putting a resistor between those two pins using Ohm's law: Voltage = Current * Resistance

Thank you all for the very helpful info and sharing your knowledge. Now I ask how do I get a 4.2 ohm ( 1/2 watt?) radioshack dont carry one??? I dont want to order online, like I said I want a homebuild. If I order online I might as well just order a pre built driver cost wise. so what do I do to get that 4.2 ohm resistor???? Thank you all again!!!!

I think a 16x has the possibility to even turn into a class IV..
get yourself 4x 1r 1/2w resistors.. wire them series and solder on the lm317..
blurays need a higher voltage.. so you will be fine with anything over 8.5v. Just heatsink the lm317 a little (I forgot that, after testing my driver I put my fingers on the lm.. now I got "LM317" written on my flesh :banghead:)...
if you are going to use less resistors less resistance, stick to a higher wattage resistor, else it'll burn. brightly! :)

thanks for the info. whats a 1r resistor? was that a typo?
also what will that give me? mW? ma? thanks again

nope. I don't really know if you people use that designation, it is more common to we (in Brazil) to write/say 1r resistor instead of 1ohm or 1Ω