Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I hate you HP...

Ok so I have my parents buy me this shiny, awesome dv9000 almost 3 years ago near christmas. It works great, and is nice for the first year. I leave it on torrenting overnight, and when I wake up and open it, the hinge cracks. No big deal, let's call hp and ask for a repair. After a bit of arguing, I get a free repair. Great. A few months later in the summer it breaks again. This time it's the motherboard. How fun, let's send it in again... And again I receive it and it works great. I wait a year and while I was playing my favorite graphically "demanding" game MapleStory... I even have it elevated with a fancy cooler... It craps out and shuts down. It doesn't come back. I want until the next day and then magically it turns on. I then realize that the piece of crap won't resume from standby and sometimes randomly shuts down... I measure the temperature right after it dies: 80 c idle and 100+ watching a movie

Now for what I need help with: I used to be able to turn on my computer by holding the power button down for a while and then turning it on again. Now the power button doesn't respond to anything. I don't know what to do, since my laptop is 2 years out of warranty.
What should I do to either fix it or have HP fix it... I don't want this computer to be a useless brick.

Thanks for reading!

I feel your pain, HP customer service can go to hell. After abusing my DV2500 to death, I call HP up asking for recovery disks and repair options; then the stupid lady says "since your computer isn't under warranty, I cannot continue with this call..."; I phone back the next day, the stupid guy tells me that my best option is "to buy another computer".

I was simply asking for repair options/ recovery disks and the stupid bastards try to sell me something.

HIMNL9

^ HP at its best :p

In my shop, i fight almost all the times with (or better said, against :p) HP notebooks ..... from lack of recovery disks, to "impossible to find a dvd burner" when you try to build them yourself, as HP suggest (3 different DV5000 in a row with the same error, starts to NOT be an occasional problem :p), from absolute lack of drivers on the HP site (and note: when you go around searching for them in forums, and the other users give you links, 90% of them comes from HP ftp server, that means that they INTENTIONALLY don't give you the drivers, on HP pages), and so on ..... including premature deads .....

Actually, are 3 years that i reject to keep HP notebooks in the shop, and if a client ask specifically for them, i order it for the client, but first advice them about all the problems, and the fact that if something happens, the client have to manage with HP service in person (cause, other than the above problems, when i ask for a spare part, they reject to send it to me, asking instead that i send them the PC for repair it, so they can charge 3 or 4 times the cost of the intervent ..... bleah :p)

And there's another thing, that if is not intentional, is at least an idiocy ..... if a client ask them directly for a repair in warranty, they send the courier at client home, and send back the notebook in a pair of weeks (usually, there was some cases in which client waited 2 months or more, but was 10% of the cases) ..... if i send a notebook of a client in repair in warranty, as reseller, i have to pay the courier, and ALWAYS have to wait from 2 to 3 months, for get back the notebook ..... good politic, to do with your resellers, right ? :scowl: :tsk:

LMAO I thought you were talking about Harry Potter LOL

LOL I really don't know, get HP to fix it and if you don't have the money for a new pc atm, just buy 3-5 years extended warranty, just in case.

D

Deleted member 8382

HP works for morons which only need their pc for lame things and will pay the techs to fix it every time. Go for a dell, the customer service is awesome, easy drivers download, and it mainly never breaks if you threat it properly.

Yours,
Albert

HIMNL9

^ Maybe in Spain, you're more lucky ..... here in Italy, customer support from Dell is almost worse than HP and Compaq one .....

Only decent supports i've seen here, for NB, are

1) Asus
2) Acer and Toshiba
3) Fujitsu-Siemens

in this order.

I've had bad experiences with cheap dells - keys falling off keyboards after only a few months (out of their measly 3 month warranty) and bundled "advertware". Recently my hard disk has died in my first ever laptop, (after 5 1/2 years of flawless service though - I'm not complaining too much :) )

Rob

After reading this I sure am happy I didn't buy an HP. I was sooo close too. I'm so happy I waited a little longer to afford a Mac. Best decision ever!